Provide Store Credit for a return

Tourist
10 0 1

I'd like to start accepting returns, but rather than refunding the customer through the method they paid with, I'd like to give them store credit by issuing a gift card. Is this possible without destroying my accounting?

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Brian!

If you are using Shopify POS for your store, there is a way to enable Store Credits in your Order screen.  Here is a link with instructions:  http://docs.shopify.com/pos/operating-pos/orders/exchange-item.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Natasha

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 1

Can you do this for customers who order online?

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Brian!

It is actually quite simple to issue a store credit for purchases online. Go into your stores admin click on Settings and then Payments. On the Orders screen click on the order which you wish to give a store credit. Choose Refund then click Done. Since you want to issue a Store Credit simply pick Store Credit. Click Done, then Next.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Brian!

If you have a Professional plan or higher you could always issue the customer a gift card.  You can issue gift cards without a customer having to pay for one (see how to create one here).  The customer would need to have an existing account but I assume they do if they've placed an order with you online.  This circumvents the need for the Shopify POS and you can also export your gift card data into a .csv file for any accounting purposes.

Hopefully that works for you!

Danielle

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 1

I went into my store's admin and clicked on Settings and then Payments...all got that got me to was my payment gateways. 

I see where you can issue a refund, http://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/orders/refund-order   ; but I don't see where there is an option to make the refund for store credit.

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 1

Issuing a gift card kind of works. I can go to the order page and use the refund function and give the customer a refund for $0.00, and this will add the item back to inventory, and I can then issue a gift card for the amount of the order, and presumably the accounting will line up -  e.g. original order was for $1, refund was issued for $0, then gift card issued for $1, so no net change.

Shopify should build in the functionality to directly issue a refund via gift card.

0 Likes
Excursionist
58 0 4

Great topic.

I have been using discount codes that I then give the customer to use to make a future purchase.

One reason I have done it this way is as a holdover from the last platform I was on.  Also, more recently, I have had some concerns about gift card legislation including some state provisions that they cannot expire.  I usually have an expiration date on any store credit.

I would like to hear from more people about how they issue store credits when an item is returned.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Brian

Actually, there is a simple way to issue store credit on Shopify - you can us rise.ai.

Rise enables you to issue store credit directly to customers while segmentizing the reason for the analytics to keep a better accounting track.

For repeat customers, you will also be able to accumulate it directly to their account, creating a seamless experience that they don't even need to remember the code in.

Hope it helps :)

0 Likes