Pseudo Pharmaceuticals Payment Gateways

Tyler_Clemens
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

So I recently developed and launched a store for my client that is selling fitness supplements. Selling things like Whey Protein Isolate, L-­Glutamine, Creatine, Casein Protein, Maltodextrin, ect...

They wanted to setup an in-store shop first. So we ordered the shopify POS and got setup on that. They launched last Saturday and the grand opening went really well, ribbon cutting and all.

My client recieved an e-mail yesterday that the store has violoated the terms of use, specifically the "Prohibited Businesses".

"Specifically, we are unable to accept payments for pseudo-pharmaceuticals"

The alternative that Shopify support mentioned is that we can setup an external payment gateway with a processor that doesn't have these terms of use. I've heard this is pretty common in what they call "High Risk Markets", things like weapons and tabaco products have similar issues with accepting credit card payments( Now I know why some merchants only accept cash).

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and more importantly, what did you do to continue to keep your business open? I'm not here to moan and groan over this, I just wanted to reach out to the community for help and possiable solutions that I can consider.

It's my understanding that even if I was to leave Shopify for another platform, I would have similar experiences.

Thanks,
Tyler

K_4
5 0 0

Hi, I received the same email. What did you end up doing? 

0 Likes
Tyler_Clemens
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

I ended up signing up for an external payment gateway, authorize.net specifically. Which means we have to pay an extra 2% in transaction fees but everything else works pretty much the same.

0 Likes
K_4
5 0 0

Thanks for getting back to me. Don't you have to also pay $25 monthly fee to use authorize.net? 

0 Likes
Tyler_Clemens
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

We are only paying $10 monthly fee per merchant account ( one for online and one for in store) from https://www.evopayments.us/ which is a reseller of authorize.net.

0 Likes
K_4
5 0 0

ok great. I had a look at that website and they dont seem to service Australia. All the best. 

0 Likes
Organic_Beauty_
Tourist
13 0 1

K. What payment gateway did you end up going with ? I am in Australia also

0 Likes
K_4
5 0 0

Hi, at this stage i dont have one and just use PayPal. This isnt really ideal but other gateways have high monthly or yearly fees attached.

0 Likes
body
2 0 0

Shopify just terminated my website without any notice. 

0 Likes
body
2 0 0

Re: Pseudo Pharmaceuticals Payment Gateways

@body wrote:

Shopify just terminated my website without any notice. 

0 Likes