Psychotic customer gave me a chargeback lying that he never got his product even though USPS says delivered. Now what

Highlighted
1 0 0

Never had a chargeback before. Didnt even know they existed. Customer placed an order. 5 hours later emailed me asking why it hadn't shipped yet. I indicated that most orders ship the next business day. His order shipped next day and that afternoon I received an email from him stating it hadn't shown up in USPS tracking yet. Therefore he declared that I was a fraud and he would hire a lawer to sue me and that my only options were to refund him or overnight his order to him. Since he threatened me with legal action I stopped responding to his tirade of emails. 3 days later his order was delivered and I never heard from him again. Now 2 months later I have received a chargeback from his bank with an additional fee from the bank. He claims he never received his order even though USPS indicated it delivered. This is completely unreasonable and he should not be allowed to do this. I responded to the chargeback through shopify with a photo of his tirade threatening to sue me as well as the USPS link indicating his order was delivered. What are the chances that this chargeback will be invalidated? Is there any way I can talk to someone at the bank to let them know how psycho this guy is? He cannot be allowed to get away with this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
523 1 93

Hi there,

My name is Alex, I'm a guru here at Shopify.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're facing this situation - a chargeback is always an awful experience, but sadly it's a possibility for any online merchant.  I'm glad to hear that you've submitted that evidence, that's the right thing to do - if you have any other evidence that can back up your position, I'd definitely recommend submitting that as well.  We've got some suggestions for evidence you can submit based on the reason given for the chargeback in our guide here.

There's more information on the processes of a chargeback at the top of that doc outlining where those charges are coming from, but basically any cardholder can reach out to his or her bank and institute a chargeback.  When that happens, the funds are immediately pulled back, plus the fee, while the cardholder's bank is reviewing the situation.  Shopify doesn't have any control over this process, which lies entirely with the customer's bank - though along with the evidence submitted, we do also send all the information we have on that transaction to ensure that you have the best possible chance of having the chargeback decided in your favour.  It's not, I'm sorry to say, possible to contact the customer's card provider; once they have the information submitted, they'll review and come to their decision.  That typically happens within 60 days; once a decision has been reached, there'll be a notification in your admin.

We do have a guide on preventing chargebacks, though much of this depends on customers acting as they should.  Based on what you've said here, it does sound like this situation was out of your control and you'd done everything in your power to prevent it; I'm sorry that you're in this position, and it's my hope that chargebacks remain a rarity for your business.  If you start to see more chargebacks coming into your store, I might recommend checking into some frayd prevention apps that can help:

Hope that's helped, and that this chargeback ends up getting decided in your favour.  Please feel free to give us a call or start a live chat at any time, we're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

Cheers,

Alex | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

What ended up happening? Did you win the chargeback? I know this is 3 years old, but I'm just curious. 

0 Likes