Putting an order on hold

welcomebrand
Excursionist
45 0 80

I've got an order flagged for fraud review and so I've emailed the customer to resolve that but in the meantime, I can't see any way to mark that order as "on hold" or "do not process" as I'm not the only one who handles processing and it seems incredibly easy to miss the note I've added to the order. 

How do I put an order aside until it's been resolved with the customer and can then be processed? I can't see any way to change the status for what must be a pretty common use-case scenario for store owners. 

Thanks!

Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2543 327 518

Hey, @welcomebrand!

At this time, placing an order on hold is not something we have built into the platform. However; if the reason behind wanting to place an order on hold is to review medium-high risk orders, then the order should be marked with a hazard triangle from the orders page: 

20-04-yeg3v-bpmqk

In addition to the hazard triangle, if you have lefts notes on the order, then there should also be a chat bubble appearing: 

20-04-b9sz6-2vxrr

If multiple people are reviewing, and fulfilling orders, these two icons would be something to look out for so that everyone knows to consider the fraud analysis, but also to review any notes to avoid fulfilling orders that are being investigated. Using the icons as reminders would be the best workaround to putting an order on hold as it would effectively give the same result at the end (i.e. a second thought before fulfilling the order). 

Let me know your thoughts! If this doesn't work for you and your business, I'd like to hear why so I can ensure your feedback is sent up to our Products team for further consideration. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

welcomebrand
Excursionist
45 0 80

Hey Peter, 

Thanks for the reply. I feared this might be the case and while I did note the icons it feels like there's still a massive potential gap here in having no mechanism to specifically prevent an order being processed by mistake.

I've come from previous ecommerce systems where a potentially fraudulent order is simply removed from the queue and put into a holding status by a store manager and this prevents any accidental processing. I assume this isn't something that would be on a development roadmap to strengthen or if there's any way to register a use case for the dev team to consider in future? 

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
140 2 47

@welcomebrand I've noticed these shortcomings too and I'm building a solution that will change the status of the order to satisfy Shopify's chargeback process & give you insight on which orders need to be put on hold because of highly suspicious activity.

Is there any more feedback in this area that you have? I'd like to consider it for the app.

Founder of Verdict - Anti-Fraud Apps for Shopify
  • Blockade - Easily block countries, IP addresses, VPNs
  • Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely
0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2543 327 518

@welcomebrand 

Thank you for letting me know! I can't confirm if this would be on the roadmap, though, I have submitted it as a feature request so our products team can review it further. Should this be something we're able to add, then our teams will take the needed steps to push it into development so we can release it in a future update. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
ScooterHub
Tourist
5 0 2

I too, would like an option to manually hold all orders until my charge protection app analyzes the transaction as low risk, at which point I'd manually un-hold the order and it be fed through to my fulfilment app ready for dispatch. 

Is there a solution yet? I really need this. 

DECOPOLIS
2 0 2

Please please create a 
"Hold" option under "more options" on the POS check out screen.  

At small brick and mortar shop like ours where one person is running the store, often we will have a customer "start a pile" or start to check out and then go back to look for more gifts.  To keep things flowing we will start ringing up the items.... and then what inevitably happens is someone else comes up and wants to check out.  And now we have to delete all that work and even unbag items if we have started sacking them. 

Used to be we could just select "Hold Order", then check out the next person. Then we could "un-hold" the other persons order and finish checking them out.  

We want the guest experience to be the best possible.  Inevitably, as soon as one person starts to check out, everyone else decides to check out lol. Being able to start and then "hold" big orders can really help make everything move more easily.  (especially if its a "complicated" order or there is an inventory problem, etc. that can make an order take longer) 

Thanks Much! 

Walking_Lightly
2 0 1

I second the request to have an 'on hold' option for POS customers. When someone decides they want to keep shopping and graciously let others check out in front of them, it would be so convenient (and much quicker for customers) to just come back to their order.

acrutledge
2 0 0

@dylanpierce any updates on this app? Looking for a similar functionality to hold orders while under review for fraud/ customer service updates/ etc. Ty

0 Likes
Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
182 6 29

@acrutledge @Walking_Lightly 

Why don't you try taking a look at our app, Beacon. There is a hold option where you can hold an order for review before continuing your shipping logistics. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon.

If you have any additional questions on how this works, please feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to help you out. 

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon.

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes