Question About SEO

Highlighted
5 0 0

I recently started my Shopify website at gregdemark.com where I sell vintage jewelry. Since these items once sold are not replaceble I am curious if anyone can tell me what is the best way to handle these sold items for good SEO

I could just leave them on the page they are on with a sold out over the picture but I think eventually that will not be a good look if there are a bunch of photos with sold out on them.

I was thinking of starting a new section in my shop called sold out and moving the items to that section and removing them from the current section of the shop but I am concerned that once Google has a item showing in one section such as bracelets and then I remove it to another section called sold out that it can hurt me on the search engines.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to handle this issue.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Greg

0 Likes
Explorer
142 0 22

Hey Greg!

This is a great question and I think you are on the right track to thinking about some of the potential issues.

You're right, leaving them as sold out could be a decent option IF you won't have many sold out items. But since it sounds like you'll be selling through inventory, I suspect you'll have more sold out items than in-stock items at some point.

So here's what you should do: Remove the sold out item as a Product and add it to your blog (using the built in blog feature from Shopify).

Having a post that is one product each is going to be too short and just add a bunch of pages. Plus, looking at your product descriptions, you'd likely pull over the first paragraph or so and they are 1-2 sentences long - not long enough to justify a single, unique post. So plan on creating a blog post where you can post any pink saphire rings to. Then anytime a pink saphire ring is sold, remove it from your store and add it to that blog post. 

You could get more creative and post "Our top 10 favorite saphire rings". 

The idea here is to add value to your visitor. Posting one product per blog post doesn't provide value to readers, but the alternative does.

Now... the downside to your industry is that you'll be creating and deleting pages, which Google isn't too thrilled about. To remedy this, I'd recommend using shorter URLs moving forward. (Don't change what you have now as this will do more harm than good.) As an example, this URL:

https://gregdemark.com/products/pink-sapphire-engagement-ring-with-round-diamonds-14k-yellow-gold-si...

could be shortened to:

https://gregdemark.com/products/pink-sapphire-engagement-ring

Doing this means that you can leverage SEO to your advantage. If you sell that pink saphhire ring, you could keep it up until you have another pink saphire ring to sell. Just edit that product, keep the URL unchanged, and upload new images and a product description. Now you have a long-lasting product page that can be repurposed. 

Good luck!

Bob

Build & grow an ecommerce business that will help you reach your goals with my no bull, no hype, no pitch mini-guide: http://www.bobpotter.co/
0 Likes
5 0 0

Bob,

Thank you for your insight on this. I appreciate it.

0 Likes
Explorer
142 0 22

You're most certainly welcome, Greg!

If there's anything I can clarify for you, don't hesitate to ask.

Build & grow an ecommerce business that will help you reach your goals with my no bull, no hype, no pitch mini-guide: http://www.bobpotter.co/
0 Likes
Excursionist
116 0 9

Hey guys if you are looking for more free information on digital marketing checkout my facebook page www.Facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau I have done a few million on online sales over the last few years and don't charge anything for my content. I got fed up with all of these coaches scamming you guys for $5000 for a program that "makes you money" so I decided I will post all of my knowledge for free for you guys! My back ends are all on shopify and I show all of my numbers! Hopefully this helps!

You guys are buying programs from people who haven't done anything. They don't show you thier numbers or anything all they do is rent a lambo and air bnb a house... Check out my page I will post as frequent as I can! www.facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Search engine optimization is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine's unpaid results—often referred to as "natural", "organic", or "earned" results.

:)
0 Likes