Question about the Conversion stats on the dashboard

Excursionist
95 0 7

The conversions stats on the dashboard consist of three numbers:  Added to Cart, Reached Checkout, and Purchased.  I understand why there is a discrepancy between the Cart and Checkout, no problem there.  But what causes a large difference between the Checkout and Purchased numbers? 

I suspect it may be the way different payment gateways are handled, but I could be wrong.  For example, I've noticed using my Lucky Orange recordings that when someone pays via Paypal, their Shopify session seems to be terminated at the point they're redirected to the Paypal gateway, and then they come back with a new recording that's labelled with the "Ordered" tag.  In other words, their first recorded session has the "cart" tag on it, and their second recorded session has the "ordered" tag on it.  (I LOVE my Lucky Orange!)

I suspect that the Amazon payment gateway works the same way.  So if this is the case, is it possible that the Shopify system is counting these as checkouts but not purchases?  Or is there some other reason for the disconnect between those two statistics?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
95 0 7

To illustrate, here are my actual numbers, reported from Jan 1 2016 to yesterday:

Reached checkout:  37 customers (1.05%)

Purchased:  23 customers (0.65%)

Ultimately I'm asking because I want to know my actual sales conversion rate.

0 Likes