RESOLVED: Broken theme.scss.liquid (Debut theme)

hedgey
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

***UPDATE: I resolved this by finding and downloading the original code online and pasting in the section I had edited 🙂

Hi, I made some small edits to theme.scss.liquid on debut and now the site is not rendering - I seem to have broken it and don't have backup. I looked up the original section of code I was editing from a different install and replaced it but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate help with this. (and realise I am an idiot for not making backup! 🙂 )

Replies 24 (24)

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

What version number is the Debut theme you are working on? Thinking if it's pretty new you might get away with replacing entire file from latest version or that different install you mentioned (if it's close version wise)

Goes without saying it's probably just a minor typo, so double check code for errors it's usually something daft like a missing ; or }

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution

Owner of Neuralcandy Shopify Agency
JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

See you've sorted it, good stuff.

Top tip for the future (apart from backup & test it on the duplicate 1st 🙂 ), never edit the existing CSS/SASS, always add your new CSS to the bottom of the file with comments. That way if you mess it up you can just delete your addition and have another go.

Sydnimicah
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey do you mind referring me to the original theme.scss.liquid code? I accidentally deleted the ENTIRE file when I tried to edit my background so I have to create a duplicate file and add the code myself. Please hep 😞

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

@Sydnimicah download a new version of the theme and then copy the file contents from that.

Sydnimicah
Visitor
3 0 0
@JonWright thank you! My issue is l don’t even know how to do that. Would you be able to walk me through that process? I’d really appreciate it.
JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

Go as per screenshot and select 'Explore free themes' and then download Debut.

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 09.44.46.png

Then from same screen in Admin, for the theme you have just download (which will be in Theme library area), select Actions>Edit code, 

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 09.47.44.png

In there under Assets folder is where you'll find the 'theme.scss.liquid' that you need. Copy the contents of it.

Then come out of that theme and go to your live theme, select Actions>Edit code again. And then recreate your theme.scss.liquid under Assets.

Hope that makes sense.

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0

I have made the same boo boo. I accidently updated the live edition of the scss.liquid.theme in an attempt to remove the grey filter on the collection photos but now its broken.  I've tried to copy and paste an untampered version of this page but that hasn't fixed it either.  There isn't an option to Roll Back to an older version like there is on other pages.

Please help!

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

@Hazeldee What’s your store URL?

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0

Hi,

@JonWright its https://hazeldee.com/

If you can help, I'll be soooooooo happy!

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0

@JonWright  I get this error Invalid CSS after "}": expected "}", was "" at 8728 if that helps...

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

OK yep that is a bit goosed :). I'll need access to your SCSS file to fix so I have sent you a collaborator access request (which will come from Shopify) so that I can get to your theme code.

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0

Yes, it is.... I only attempted to change 1 line!  Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

Not goosed now 🙂

Your error was between lines 3787 & 3790, you had an open { where you should have had a closed }.

When you are making CSS changes, best advice is not to edit what is there but to add your new CSS to the very bottom of that file. That way if something goes wrong you can easily delete your change and everything will go back to normal. And obvs make a duplicate before you start and test your change in the duplicate first.

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0

@JonWright Thank you so much!  Yes, I will definitely add to the bottom going forward (if I dare to make any amendments myself again!) phew, I've been trying to fix this for ages!

JonWright
Shopify Partner
818 123 362

@Hazeldee no problem.

southernhopes
Tourist
5 0 1

Untitled.png think i have the same problem but with my layout. This is what it looks like

Sebagrosh
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi

I made the same mistake, tried changing the live theme.scss.liquid code and messed it up. I've been trying to solve it for hours.

Please help, the website is https://thepeculiaritemstore.com/    

Thanks!

casaziki
Tourist
10 0 24

i have the same issue and am not able to fix it even when I copy paste the new correct code. Please help!

DaMyaSa
5 0 0

Hello , I know your probably very tired of helping with this problem but I’ve watched so many tutorials on how t change my debut these header to black I’ve edited my theme code a lot if you could please tell me how to fix this step but step I’d be so happy I can even pay you I just really want to publish a perfect website. 

Hazeldee
Tourist
10 0 0
Hi,

I wish I could help but this is truly not my area at all. But check out the Shopify customer service team for help. I hope your issue gets resolved soon, all the best x
Arranch
Visitor
1 0 0

Please can you help me...I'm having a similar issue, I changed something at the bottom of the file, it didn't work so i deleted it but it's still broken and come up with the following message: Invalid CSS after " }": expected "}", was "" at 8720

Robinmgx
Visitor
3 0 0

I haveI can't find the file theme.scss.liquid in assets, I only have the .css file.
How do you do it?

Eco7
Visitor
1 0 0

This bit of information SAVED my website from an accidental crash today. Thank you for saving my business!!

Caitlin333
13 0 0

Would you share the last part of the code. I did the same thing and I can't find the original code anywhere. Thanks!