RESOLVED: Broken theme.scss.liquid (Debut theme)

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

***UPDATE: I resolved this by finding and downloading the original code online and pasting in the section I had edited :-)

Hi, I made some small edits to theme.scss.liquid on debut and now the site is not rendering - I seem to have broken it and don't have backup. I looked up the original section of code I was editing from a different install and replaced it but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Any ideas? I would really appreciate help with this. (and realise I am an idiot for not making backup! :-) )

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 279

What version number is the Debut theme you are working on? Thinking if it's pretty new you might get away with replacing entire file from latest version or that different install you mentioned (if it's close version wise)

Goes without saying it's probably just a minor typo, so double check code for errors it's usually something daft like a missing ; or }

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 279

See you've sorted it, good stuff.

Top tip for the future (apart from backup & test it on the duplicate 1st :) ), never edit the existing CSS/SASS, always add your new CSS to the bottom of the file with comments. That way if you mess it up you can just delete your addition and have another go.

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey do you mind referring me to the original theme.scss.liquid code? I accidentally deleted the ENTIRE file when I tried to edit my background so I have to create a duplicate file and add the code myself. Please hep :(

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 279

@Sydnimicah download a new version of the theme and then copy the file contents from that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
@JonWright thank you! My issue is l don’t even know how to do that. Would you be able to walk me through that process? I’d really appreciate it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 279

Go as per screenshot and select 'Explore free themes' and then download Debut.

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 09.44.46.png

Then from same screen in Admin, for the theme you have just download (which will be in Theme library area), select Actions>Edit code, 

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 09.47.44.png

In there under Assets folder is where you'll find the 'theme.scss.liquid' that you need. Copy the contents of it.

Then come out of that theme and go to your live theme, select Actions>Edit code again. And then recreate your theme.scss.liquid under Assets.

Hope that makes sense.

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

I have made the same boo boo. I accidently updated the live edition of the scss.liquid.theme in an attempt to remove the grey filter on the collection photos but now its broken.  I've tried to copy and paste an untampered version of this page but that hasn't fixed it either.  There isn't an option to Roll Back to an older version like there is on other pages.

Please help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
723 107 279

@Hazeldee What’s your store URL?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi,

@JonWright its https://hazeldee.com/

If you can help, I'll be soooooooo happy!

0 Likes