Re: Shipping ? and customer service

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi new to Shopify and trying to navigate the shipping crazy. If I have a few shipping rates set, I'm curious how I alter the rate if someone buys 2 items from my shop without them being charged double shipping? Please advise? Also take note that I'm not the most tech savvy so dumb it down for me:) THANKS!

2nd ?- is there an option to give a refund should someone not be satisfied with product or something was overcharged etc.? Please advise how that works?

appreciate all of your help and thanks again for taking the time and considering addressing my questions!

Work in progress, Kelly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
684 51 152

Hi, @eKelly!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

First off, welcome to Shopify! It's great to hear that you're working on setting up your shipping rates. While shipping rates are usually based on the entire order, rather than individual products, it would be great to gather some details on the types of shipping rates you've set up.

Are you offering calculated rates or flat rates? With calculated rates, customers will be charged shipping costs that are provided by any shipping carriers that you have added in your shipping settings. The shipping cost is based on the carrier's real-time rates, where the order is being shipped to and from, along with the total weight of the customer's order. This means that with calculated rates, there isn't a way for customers to be charged double for shipping. 

Alternatively, if you have flat rates set up, then it's likely that you've selected either price-based or weight-based rates. With price-based rates, customers are charged shipping rates based on the total order value. For example, if a customer's order is under $100, then they could pay a flat rate of $10 for shipping. If their order is over $100, then you could offer free shipping. This is the easiest way to set up your shipping rates. Weight-based rates are similar to price-based rates, but the difference is that the shipping rate is based on the total weight of the order, rather than the total price. 

A great way to understand how shipping rates are charged is to go through your checkout as a customer would. Once you add a product to the cart and proceed to the shipping stage, you'll see which shipping rates are available and exactly how much it will cost. While you don't need to actually make a purchase, we always recommend placing a test order before launching your online store. Test orders not only allow you to get a feel for the checkout process from a customer's perspective, but they can also help you ensure that everything is setup correctly. There are a few different ways you can do this, so I suggest reviewing our help doc on placing test orders and trying this out before you launch! 

If you're still unclear about shipping, I suggest reviewing our help doc on understanding shipping. This will help you learn more about the different shipping carriers we integrate with, the different shipping rates you can offer, and how to work with any dropshipping or fulfillment services.

As for issuing refunds, this is totally possible and we actually have a help doc on creating returns and refunds that outlines the process. While on the topic, it's also a good idea to ensure that your online store has a clear return and refund policy for customers. We actually have a free refund policy template you can use for your own business, and information on how to add it to your website here

I hope this helps, but if you need a hand with your rates and aren't sure as to what kind of shipping rates you've set up, feel free to share a screenshot of your shipping settings! I'd be happy to take a look. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes