Reauthorizing credit cards after they expire

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

hey community, looking for some help:  I used  the Pre-order Manager app to take orders prior to my product arriving. IT worked great.  They pre-authed the orders but of course, did not collect funds. Now a month later my product is here but the credit card authorizations have expired. I'm wondering what the best practices for reauthorizing and charging the cards are when I ship next week.

Any good ideas?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 15 54

Hi, @brimccarthy.

Olivia here from the Shopify Team. I'd be glad to lend you a hand today.

Let's talk more about credit card authorization periods to better understand next steps. All credit card payment providers have an authorization period to allow a charge to be made to a customer's credit card. The authorization period varies depending on the credit card payment provider.

With that being said, when using Shopify Payments that authorization period is 7 days. If the allotted time passes and the payment is not captured, the authorization becomes invalid and the customer must provide their consent again. The only way for customers to provide that consent is by agreeing to the purchase and providing their payment details once more.

The Customer Journey

Let's prevent this from happening again! Now that you are aware of the expiring authorization period, make sure that your business operations reflect this and you include payment capture in your workflow.

Next Steps

Payment details are encrypted for your customer's protection, but also to safeguard your business. As such, you cannot access payment details or re-authorize credit cards on behalf of your customers.

What you can do is create a draft order and email your customers an invoice and explain the situation. In my experience, customers are always understanding of this, but you can even leverage this contact opportunity to connect with them. Maybe even offering a discount code for their inconvenience towards future purchases, or sharing your BFCM (Black Friday Cyber Monday) weekend sale? This is a great way to build brand loyalty and increase customer retention.

If you have any further questions or comments, don't hesitate to reply to my post!

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0
Hey there, Olivia. Thank you for the detailed response. So just one follow
up question. You state, "The only way for customers to provide that consent
is by agreeing to the purchase and providing their payment details once
more.". My question is, what is the best practice there? Maybe just writing
to them, explaining the situation and requesting that they order again?
Maybe offer a discount? Does Shopify have the ability to repopulate the
order info so it is easier for them? Is there a button from the admin that
makes all this easier?

thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 15 54

Thanks for getting back to me, @brimccarthy.

Yes, the best way to ask for payment again from your customers would be through the draft order option I shared above. This way you can easily populate what was in their original order, and then simply email them an invoice to create the least work for your customer.

After hitting "Send Invoice" from the draft order you'll be able to add a custom message as such:

20-49-1laxd-bzmdx

This should do the trick, but let me know if you run into any further issues.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes