Received alert for Submit a document to verify your account information

Steve_Reid
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi - I've received an alert on my homepage that says:

Due to regulatory changes in your country, you need to submit documents that verify information about your business before October 28th. You will be unable to accept payments from your customers if you do not submit the documents.

Submit a document to verify your account information

The documents you submit must match the account information. For example, if you are verifying the identity of an individual with a photo ID, the information on the photo ID needs to be the same as the account information about that individual.

The thing is, it is relating to an ex-employee. I can see no details of their name in payments, in users - they left 4 years ago! How do I contact Shopify to tell them that the person should not be on our account and therefore the documentation is not needed? 
Thanks for your help

Replies 11 (11)

sarahkitchener
Visitor
2 0 0

I also have the same issue. The individual that we are required to supply documentation for needs to be updated and changed. I cannot even see this name listed on our account anywhere.

Please can you help me also to resolve this.

Thank you

sarahkitchener
Visitor
2 0 0

@Andrew Please can you help.

I followed your advice "If you haven't, simply type up a document explaining your situation and upload that. The Risk team will then reach out to you about changing ID." The person you are requesting ID for needs removing from our account and replacing with another person. 

I now see "Some of the information you provided for Shopify Payments couldn't be verified. Please contact support to complete the verification. Contact Support"

I cannot contact support - there is no facility to do this and our payments are on hold.

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @sarahkitchener

If you go to this page and click Contact Support you will be prompted to either login or continue without a store. Once you have selected an option you will be asked to ask about a topic. Search for your query and relevant help docs will populate as well as the option to proceed to live chat or email. Alternatively, I can send you an email myself, and I will need you to reply from the email address you used to open your account with us. 

Let me know how you would like to proceed!

All the best, Hyde. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

RvonD
5 0 0

Prepare for a long haul. I tried to solve the same kind of issue, uploaded what I thought was the required document, then Shopify stopped putting the payments through to the bank account we've used for years. An obtuse message on the Admin Page points to a bottomless pit that is Shopify's "support" page. "Chat" is a total joke, with endless waiting times, probably millions of poor souls competing with each other for solutions to the same problems. Exchanges with the bots or people in "Chat" are a remarkable test of sanity. As if the answer you get is almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to the question you ask.

An answer you might expect:

"15:21 Br**** (Support Advisor): Okay so the expected review time for these documents are 1-3 business days however I know that the queue for these requests is quite large at this time so it may take a little longer. As such I ask for your continued patience as the team will be in touch if more/different documents are required 🙂

So, even if you get through on "Chat", don't hold your breath. I'd advise anyone getting these requests for documents to react early, otherwise like us you'll find yourself selling product but not receiving any money into your account!

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Steve_Reid,

Hyde here from Shopify. That's an interesting question!

Shopify requests that information from the Account Owner, meaning that if you are the new Account Owner your details should be listed as Settings > General, in Settings > Payment Providers (if you're using Shopify Payments and if you're using Paypal), and also in Settings > Plan and Permissions.

If you have another person's details listed on your store, then you will want to update the information straight away. Have you received an email about this at all? If so, you'd want to reply to that email directly with your questions as that is a direct line to the team responsible.

If you haven't, simply type up a document explaining your situation and upload that. The Risk team will then reach out to you about changing ID.

I hope that helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Steve_Reid
Visitor
2 0 1
Thank you but this is just answering the solution which is obvious - I am the store owner. The documents being requested are for an ex employee that does not appear anywhere in our Shopify, ownership, user accounts or permissions. So what now, thanks?
Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Steve_Reid, I'm not sure what you mean by "this is just answering the solution which is obvious". As I mentioned, if you've received an email you will need to direct your questions to that email, otherwise, you would need to type up an explanation on a document and submit that instead of the ID, as either option provides you with a direct line to the Risk team responsible for overseeing ID verification. 

All the best, Hyde. 

dozewavelength
7 0 0

Hi Hyde:

Hoping you can help me here.

I am a Canadian but my company operates solely in the US. Our office is in the US as is our bank. I'd like our invoices to show a US company head office because that's what operate. 

Since I am Canadian I do not have a SSN, but my company does have an EIN. 

What do we do? 

DWL

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @dozewavelength

Great question! If you yourself are not based in the US but have a Tax ID there, then it may be possible to arrange that (though not guaranteed). You will need to be sure that you have physical operations on US soil. If this is the case, I can send you an email to request some information that I can escalate to our Tax team to request that update of your details. Please let me know and I'll reach out to you by email.

All the best, Hyde.

dozewavelength
7 0 0

Ya, if you could please initiate that it would be appreciated. 

Spennyfc14
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you but when I try and upload my photo ID  to verify shopify payments and my identity, it doesn’t let me. What’s going on?