Received an email from someone claiming they had an unauthorized transaction from my store

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

I received an email from a customer via Shopify claiming that they had an unauthorized transaction from my store. My client record does not have this particular individual at all and I haven't been selling for a long time so this possibly could not have happened. 

The email is as follows:

Name:Robert G****** Email:r******@gmail.com Phone Number:*********
Body:I recieved and invoice from this website for $1.99 and an additional payment of $49.99 that was not authorized by me and i would like to speak to the main supervisor in charge.

I have replied to this individual from my shopify email stating that there has not been made any charge to the individual and that if an erroneous charge has been made then it should be reported to Shopify customer support. 

Could you look into it and see if this is a spam email that i should just ignore?

My store record does not indicate any such transaction made within the last month. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 100 360

Hey, @arica

Based on my experience, this would be a scam email that is looking to get either money or products from you. If you have checked your abandoned carts, orders, and payment provider to confirm the funds never arrived, nor that an order was placed then you should be okay to ignore the message. From the sounds of it, you've already taken all the right steps to verify the email, and have come to the conclusion that it is spam. I'd trust your gut on this one and delete the message. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes