Recipe Section

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

My store will be selling BBQ Grills and accessories.  Part of my current site is a Recipe Section where I have multiple recipes, some with videos.  I'd prefer to lay these out in a 4-wide grid with Thumbnails to click on to get to the individual recipe page.  I can scroll down all the recipes, or break them down by Main Ingredient, ie. Beef, Pork, Poultry, etc.

Is this something easily done in Shopify?  I'm a total novice with Shopify, so I have to ask.  Is this done based on the theme I select, or will I need a separate App?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
242 59 103

Hi @GrumpyG,

Yes, you can do this in Shopify. You would create a page for your recipes. However, there is no drag-and-drop style editor for page content, so you will likely have to write some HTML/CSS code to create the four column layout that you desire.

Let me know if you need any assistance with this.

Good luck and congrats on launching a new Shopify store!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks Brian,

Fortunately, I'm more comfortable with HTML & CSS than Shopify, so this should work out.  I am assuming that I can put my main recipe page in one of the Shopify menus?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
242 59 103

This is an accepted solution.

You are correct. And you'll see that the interface is fairly intuitive and the documentation is good. Of course, the community is here to support you when the time comes to write code.

Cheers! 

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
466 39 100

Hi, @GrumpyG!

Julie, here from the Shopify Support team. 

@BrianAtWork’s suggestion can definitely work if you’d like to do this using a page. If you’re not skilled with HTML, then you can always use an app like Shogun Page Builder or GemPages Page Builder. Both of these apps allow you to build customizable blog pages with drag and drop tools. If you’d like to browse the apps’ FAQs, you can access the GemPages FAQ here, as well as Shogun’s FAQ here. Links to these can also be found in the Support section of the apps’ pages.

Some Shopify themes also have a built-in tagging feature for blogs so that customers can filter blog posts by tags. This would give customers the option to filter different topics (in this case, recipe types) by tags. Every theme will have this structured a bit differently, but I’ve taken screenshots of how this would look in a couple of different themes. For example, here’s what tag filtering would look like in the Debut theme: 

10-51-6vt0n-5nyit

Here’s what it would look like in the Minimal theme:

11-09-vt7g5-isptk

Most of our free themes except Brooklyn and Pop have this feature built-in. A few paid themes with this feature include:

If you prefer to lay these recipes out as thumbnails, however, using a page builder app would likely be the best option for you. Let me know if this helps! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks for that info, Julie.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
18 0 1

Hey @GrumpyG - it seems that you got the recipe all sorted out for your Shopify store; but in case you are still looking for a good recipe solution I've just released a little Shopify app that allows you to create nice looking recipes and embed them in your blog posts! It's printable, SEO optimized, and looks great :)

Here is the Recipe Kit app store listing -  https://apps.shopify.com/recipe-kit 

If you have any questions or thoughts, let me know! I'm working on building new designs out for the recipes all the time, and am eager to put some new features into the app ASAP as well!

Have a great weekend,

Pat

Recipe Kit - Easy, beautiful & SEO friendly recipe cards on your Shopify blog posts - https://apps.shopify.com/recipe-kit
Wait.li - Product Waiting Lists for Shopify - https://apps.shopify.com/product-waiting-lists
0 Likes