Redacted Domain Name Ownership Bug

zoshe
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hello Community

Although Shopify Domain Manger's setting claims it is not redacting the Ownership of the Domain Name, it is. The following was first reported back in 1999, does anyone know when this will be fixed?

On Oct 10 1999, zoshe wrote:

This is a follow-up to your previous request #13395885 "Shopify Support Call"

Hi Dylan

Just checking up on the progress with Shopify's Domain public feature not working for most of this year? Any ETA when this will be fixed?

Zoshe

On Oct 10 19:26 EDT, Tim S wrote:

Hi there Zoshe,
I'm Tim from the Guru team. Thanks for emailing in today!

Regarding the public WHOIS information question, the short answer is no, this is not fixed. The long answer is as follows.

When the European GDPR laws took effect on what information OpenSRS can publish, they made it so most registrar information is always hidden, even when set to public. Although GDPR only affects European Countries, OpenSRS made the decision to apply it to every country.

This means that for any domains the Shopify sells, the WhoIs data will always be hidden and we can't do anything about that. Generally, any registry that tells you the data must be public can be contacted and told about the situation. I'll add a link to a blog by OpenSRS in here which may shed some more light on the situation:

* [GDPR Updates: Whois Changes - OpenSRS](https://opensrs.com/blog/2017/11/gdpr-updates-whois-changes/)

I hope this clears up the issue for you.
If you have any other questions please let me know and I will get back to you as soon as possible with an answer!

Kind Regards,
Tim S | Shopify Guru [24/7 Support](https://help.shopify.com/questions)

On Oct 10 12:25 EDT, zoshe wrote:

Hi Tim
We’re familiar with this, because we were the first(i believe) to bring it to Shopify's attention many months ago.

OpenSRS is tucow, and tucow is being silly, and their blog is only telling a one sided story. They can easily code the defaults to private and allow the domain owners to make it public within the EU law.. I'm so sorry that tucow did this to your customers and you. It’s not right and it must be so frustrating to deal with them. Since you guys do host on google cloud, maybe they be interested in replacing tucow. Plus, Google may have better seek time performance for your customers too. So, maybe there is a bright side to this. Is there any plan to fix it? If yes, does the plan have a rough time when it will be fixed?

Zoshe

Hello again Zoshe,

First of all, thanks for your understanding on this matter. You're right that this has been a bit of a frustration for both us and our customers due to us not having much control over the issue. To your question on is there a plan to fix this, I am not aware of any such plan myself. It may be that there are people working on this, but that information hasn't been made available to us to make public yet. Therefore there is no timeline on a fix for this.

Thanks again for your understanding, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out again.

Kind Regards,
Tim S | Shopify Guru 24/7 Support

0 Likes