Redirect a specific subdomain to primary domain

Tourist
9 0 2

Hi All,

I have a website and I have more than one subdomain. I want to redirect a specific domain to my primary domain.

For Example, I have a domain ie example.com and 3 subdomains ie, a.example.com, b.example.com and c.example.com.

I want to redirect b.example.com to example.com.

Shopify has the option to redirect all the subdomains to the primary domain. but I want to redirect only one subdomain to the primary domain.

Is there any way to achieve this on Shopify?

Thanks,

Ajith

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2374 163 341

Hi @Ajithvivid,

Nick here from Shopify. 

In the case that you just wanted to re-direct one subdomain to your primary Shopify store domain, your best bet would be to only have the subdomain you want re-directed added to your store. By default, all of the subdomains would re-direct to the primary domain. You can see the help guide Shopify has on subdomains here

Can I ask why you would want to have a subdomain and not have it point to the primary domain and if you want to point it somewhere else? 

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
363 6 59

Hey Ajith,

I suppose it is technically possible to do so.

OgCUpR9TjJofrHeQYUz9FpJ64pleh4

However, if the primary domain is your Shopify store, then I'm with Nick on this one, and you should just add the subdomain to your Shopify store, as all domains and sub-domains added to the Shopify store will automatically redirect to the chosen "primary domain". 

Hope this helps! :)

★ Did my post help? If yes, then please like and accept solution. ★

→ Have me build your Shopify store @ stephens.world
→ Get your FREE 30-Step Setup Guide @ stephens.world/guide
→ View My Official Expert Profile @ stephens.world/expert
→ Want to buy me lunch? stephens.world/lunch

1 Like
1 0 0

Hi Nick, 

I have the same question as the original poster. 

I can provide more context for the issue we are having, hopefully you can help. 

We have our primary domain as the WWW version

We have two "third party domains": 

1) The non-WWW version
2) A language subdomain, fr.website.com

We want the non-WWW version to redirect traffic to our primary domain, however, we obviously do not want the language subdomain to redirect to the primary domain. 

Do you have any suggestions? It seems that the default redirect setting available would redirect all traffic from both of these subdomains. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2374 163 341

Hi @jxyates22,

Any domain which you add to your store and is not assigned as the primary domain would automatically redirect to the store it is associated with. 

Can I ask where you want the language domain to be directed to? Do you have another store by any chance? I'm wondering if the Geo-location apps would work or be any use to in this instance also. The concept of a geolocation app is to automatically redirect users to different stores based on their IP addresses. Some of the main geolocation apps from the app store can be found below where you can see if they might work with what you want to accomplish: 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I highly recommend not using GEO IP redirects if you plan on using SEO to drive traffic from anywhere outside the USA.

It can seriously hurt your rankings, as Google bot is almost always redirected too. I wrote a blog post about it here: https://matt-jackson.com/seo-guides/geo-ip-location-redirects-seo-advice/

Ecommerce SEO Expert, get up to date tips on my blog: https://matt-jackson.com
0 Likes