Solved

Redirecting from old domain (WIX) to new domain (Shopify)

MarkAnthony21
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there,

We run a small (growing!) online business in Australia called The Train Game. Our domain name is thetraingame.com.au which is hosted by crazydomains and our online store is set-up using the WIX platform.

We have purchased the domain name thetraingame.com (hosted by Domain.com) which we would like to use to set-up a new Shopify store.

We're currently building our new Shopify store using thetraingame.com with a view to redirecting all URLs and traffic from our old site (thetraingame.com.au) to our new site (thetraingame.com) at the right time! We're trying to do this in the most effective way possible, with a view to moving away from the WIX platform to Shopify.

Hoping someone might be able to provide some guidance on how we can go about this! We're currently still in the free trial period of Shopify if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Mark

Accepted Solution (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @MarkAnthony21!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify. I'm so happy to hear you've chosen us to host your website.

You'll be happy to know that the transition of your domain will be super easy. If we fast-forward to the day you're ready to switch the domain, it'll be as simple as changing some of the current DNS settings on crazydomains, removing the domain from Wix, then connecting to Shopify. As you've purchased your domain through a third party, you need to edit the following DNS settings:

• Your A record should point to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65.
  • Your www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com.

Editing these domain settings might have an effect on other things, such as email forwarding. You can contact your domain provider to find out how any changes might affect your DNS settings. We have a great guide that will help you to connect a third-party domain to Shopify.

When you've connected the thetraingame.com.au domain, make sure you set thetraingame.com as the primary domain. This means everyone who goes to thetraingame.com.au will be redirected automatically to the new one.

It's so exciting to hear your small business has started to grow. Do you have any tips that you'd like to share on what you did to grow your business? If you're looking for new ways to convert traffic, I recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales.

Lastly, if you need help with migrating any of your Wix data to Shopify, we've compiled some great resources to help you out with that. Starting with our guide on Migrating to Shopify, this guide will help you navigate through transferring the essentials to Shopify - like products, order history, customers and more. Next up, check out this great article about a company who transferred their business to Shopify. It's not Wix, but it's a great read to get you inspired by the power of Shopify. Please let me know if you need anything at all to make your transition to Shopify easier.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @MarkAnthony21!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify. I'm so happy to hear you've chosen us to host your website.

You'll be happy to know that the transition of your domain will be super easy. If we fast-forward to the day you're ready to switch the domain, it'll be as simple as changing some of the current DNS settings on crazydomains, removing the domain from Wix, then connecting to Shopify. As you've purchased your domain through a third party, you need to edit the following DNS settings:

• Your A record should point to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65.
  • Your www CNAME record should point to shops.myshopify.com.

Editing these domain settings might have an effect on other things, such as email forwarding. You can contact your domain provider to find out how any changes might affect your DNS settings. We have a great guide that will help you to connect a third-party domain to Shopify.

When you've connected the thetraingame.com.au domain, make sure you set thetraingame.com as the primary domain. This means everyone who goes to thetraingame.com.au will be redirected automatically to the new one.

It's so exciting to hear your small business has started to grow. Do you have any tips that you'd like to share on what you did to grow your business? If you're looking for new ways to convert traffic, I recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales.

Lastly, if you need help with migrating any of your Wix data to Shopify, we've compiled some great resources to help you out with that. Starting with our guide on Migrating to Shopify, this guide will help you navigate through transferring the essentials to Shopify - like products, order history, customers and more. Next up, check out this great article about a company who transferred their business to Shopify. It's not Wix, but it's a great read to get you inspired by the power of Shopify. Please let me know if you need anything at all to make your transition to Shopify easier.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.