Refunded to a gift card instead of a credit card by mistake

Solved
Hakina
2 0 0

Hi. So a customer bought 2 items and paid by gift card and credit card.

She sent back 1 item and I refunded it to the gift card by mistake, instead of credti card.

- Will the money have come off my Shopify account?

- So I refund on credit card I will be out of pocket on both, or is the gift card not applied until it's used?

Would appreciate some clarification thanks

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
876 47 139

Hey, @Hakina

Tira here to help. Thanks for your question.

If you made a partial refund with a gift card and another payment method, a refund will be applied to the gift card first, until it reaches the full amount for a refund. The rest of the refund would be applied to the other payment method. You can also adjust the amounts you want to refund on each payment method for up to the amount on each payment method. Check out our help doc for a refresher on refunding with gift cards here: Refunding part of an order. You will need to scroll down the page to see this section.

Where the amount of the refund will come out of, will depend on your payment provider. If you’re using Shopify Payments to collect payments, the refund amount will come out of your next payout. If you don’t have enough in a payout, then depending on where you're located, your payouts will be deducted the refund amount until it is reached or the balance is debited from your bank account on the day of the payout. Refunds take up to 10 business days to be credited back to your customer with Shopify Payments. 

Check out our help doc to learn more about this here: Refunding an order.

How much did you need to refund on the credit card? What payment provider are you using?

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Hakina
2 0 0

Hi. 

The full amount was refunded to the Gift Card. $280.

The customer got in touch as the amount hadn't been refunded to her credit card. The money was refunded to her Gift Card by mistake.

What I want to know is if this $280 has come out of my Shopify account (I can't see it). And how I get this money back so I can credit her credit card without being out of pocket twice

Thanks

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
876 47 139

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for letting me know the amount of the gift card and for confirming you're using Shopify Payments, @Hakina. That is a lot of money to be refunded on a gift card and not a credit card. I understand these occurrences happen and I would like to check on this with our payments team for you.

Here’s more details from the help doc I added earlier on Shopify Payments that will provide more insight on where you can expect to see the refund amount from:

- If you're using Shopify Payments and you issue a refund, then the amount is deducted from your next available payout.

- If you're using Shopify Payments and your payout doesn't have enough funds for a return, then there are different outcomes depending on where you are located. For stores located in: Austria, Denmark, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, the remainder of the refund is deducted from the next payout until the refunded amount is covered.

- United States, Canada, and Australia, the balance is debited from your bank account on the day of the payout.

I've asked our payments team to see if there's anything we can do to help and it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our Help Centre and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Thanks!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes