Refunding to a different card

Highlighted
1 0 0

Does Shopify POS allow you to refund to a card that is different to the one that was used for the original transaction?

I am concerned with what happens if a customer replaces their card and wishes to return in store because there are no options to change the card details during the refund process.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
740 57 90

Hi, Ella!

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us! :-) 

It's not possible to refund an order to a different card -other than the card that was used to place the order. Due to fraud and security reasons, this is quite common amongst many online and brick-and-mortar stores. 

Technically in the admin, you will have the option to refund the order back to their old card as shown here. This is not something we would advise doing though. As the card might be lost or cancelled, the customer's bank is not guaranteed to receive the refund. As you can imagine, this can lead to a very stressful situation for you and the customer. 

If a customer no longer has access to their card, we would advise exchanging the order for a credit note as shown in this guide. 

Let me know what you think and if there is anything else I can help you with, I'm happy to help!

Thanks a mill! 
Ted

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

What do you reccomend if after the refund/order is performed cancellation the client tells you they would like it on a different card or the card they made the purchase with isn't available now? Should they contact their bank? Can we redirect the refund to the credit note after the fact?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
740 57 90

Hi, Jason!

No, as mentioned above it's not possible to refund the amount to a different card due to fraud prevention and security reasons. This is a common practice by many POS and payment gateway providers. We wouldn't recommend refunding it to the old card either as there's no guarantee that the customer will receive the funds. If a situation like this arises, we would recommend exchanging the item or else issuing a credit note as shown here

Feel free to reach out to our Support team any time as well. We're here 24/7 via Facebook, Twitter, chats, emails and phone. Just click 'talk to support’ for some more info.

Happy selling!   
Ted

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Ted

I have a situation where a customer has received a faulty item and we are not able to offer a suitable alternative. She doesn't have the card she paid on or indeed the bank account it was attached to any longer. We must refund as opposed to offering a credit note can you advise if there is now a way to do this securely in these circumstances please?

0 Likes