Refunds not showing on timeline

Solved
Highlighted
3 0 0

I have several orders that have been fulfilled. Refunds were initiated on our system for them which post the refund information via the Shopify API. However, the order timeline it doesnt show the refund event. But I can see the refund data when I query the refund API. Is there a setting or something that is preventing me from see the refunds in the UI?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 51 67

Hey, @jbutler-lf.

Welcome to the Community. I'm Helen from Shopify Support, and I’m here to help!

What payment gateway are you using to process payments on your store?

Is the refunded notification showing in the payment status on your Order list from your Shopify admin? For example, do you see this for your refunded orders?:

30-03-uhwnv-a02u7

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

We are not using a payment gateway on Shopify. No the orders show 'Paid'. I can provide examples of an order placed and refunded if that helps. I would prefer not to post any data the forum.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 51 67

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for the information, @jbutler-lf

I’d like to look further into this for you, and examples would be very helpful!

Therefore, I am sending you an email so that we can continue this discussion there. Please keep an eye out for it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello Helen! I am encountering the same problem where I know my shop has had refunds or even order adjustments and those events are not showing up when I pull events through the API.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

need help with this also. 

I refunded a few orders due to quality control issues. I had a shopify balance of $75 which covered the 1st 3 refunds. I had to issue 2 more refunds but I do not see them on the timeline. I am confused and want to know where those funds will be deducted from, my payout bank account??

Missmomosa@gmail.com is my email

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 51 67

Hi, @MarsJ

Let’s take a look into this! Are you using Shopify Payments as your payment gateway? 

Refunds will always be issued back to the original form of payment; And when using Shopify Payments, the funds from a refund are returned to your customer immediately. Shopify will then reclaim the amount owed back from you from your next payout. For more information about this, take a look at the Help Doc for Refunding and cancelling orders

Therefore, could you please confirm which payment gateway was used for the 2 orders that you are not seeing the refund in the timeline for? Once we are certain how the payment was processed initially, we’ll be able to troubleshoot this further.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 51 67

Hello, @katebrainjolt. Welcome to the Community!

Are your refunded orders showing in your Shopify admin order list? Or is it just when you pull events through the API that they are not showing up?

API issues tend to be out of our support scope here in general support. Therefore, I’d recommend reading through the Shopify Admin API resources, as well as searching or reaching out on the Shopify API & SDK board where there are many developer conversations going on.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes