Region Specific Storefront

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hello,

What is the best way to implement my online store for customers who access from US, Canada, and the rest of the world? My store operates purely out of Canada however so the region-based redirection is not really because I have operations in the various regions, but more so for local pricing and shipping for the US, UK and RoW. I would like the site to display all the pricing in the customer's local currency and most important, charge them shipping accordingly - I get killed otherwise :) Sort of like how Nordstrom, Amazon, etc. does it. 

It would be great if the site could automatically detect where the customer is coming from based on their IP address and render the right store. I actually own the .com, .ca, and .co.uk domains of my site as well (foresight :)). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Natasha

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1588 64 180

Hi @Natasha_Husain,

Nick here from Shopify. 

There are a couple of different ways you can go about this. The first way is through installing and implementing some geolocation/ currency conversion apps from the Shopify App Store and the second is by starting multiple stores one for each location. Starting multiple stores will more than likely take up a lot more time and could be more costly, so it could be worth exploring the currency conversion app route first to see if you can find one which suits your needs. There are several good currency converter apps designed to sell globally in the currency of the country the customer is visiting from. Let's take a look at some of these below:

Regarding the shipping charges, this is something which you would need to work out with your shipping carrier or post office, it's not something Shopify would have a lot of control over. Depending on where you are located, Shopify Shipping could be a potential option for you here. If you are not eligible for Shopify Shipping you can still use Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) which calculates the best rates for each shipping zone you create based on the address the customer puts in. You can see more about how CCS works from the guide Shopify has here

I hope this helps and explains the reasoning behind the solutions provided and the best next steps to take for what you are looking for. Should you have any other questions about it or anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
5 0 0

Thanks Nick for your detailed response. 

One thing I am still not clear on, these apps just convert the currency to display the same price in the customer's local/preferred currency? So for example, if I have a product priced at CAD 10.00, when a customer comes from the US (or switches their currency to USD), the price simply shows as USD 7.54. I'm actually looking for a way to create "multi-region pricing." So in my example, I want the US pricing to actually be USD 9 (or USD 10) for the same product. I also want the whole checkout process to be in the currency of the customer's choice. 

Right now we are actually using an app called "Bold Multi-Currency" on our site. It just provides a currency switcher and simply shows the product pricing in the converted currency. The other issue I have with this app is that when the customer goes to checkout, it switches back to Canadian. This is confusing to our customers - we already had several customers get confused and it led to abandoned checkouts. 

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Natasha

@Nick wrote:

Hi @Natasha_Husain,

Nick here from Shopify. 

There are a couple of different ways you can go about this. The first way is through installing and implementing some geolocation/ currency conversion apps from the Shopify App Store and the second is by starting multiple stores one for each location. Starting multiple stores will more than likely take up a lot more time and could be more costly, so it could be worth exploring the currency conversion app route first to see if you can find one which suits your needs. There are several good currency converter apps designed to sell globally in the currency of the country the customer is visiting from. Let's take a look at some of these below:

Regarding the shipping charges, this is something which you would need to work out with your shipping carrier or post office, it's not something Shopify would have a lot of control over. Depending on where you are located, Shopify Shipping could be a potential option for you here. If you are not eligible for Shopify Shipping you can still use Carrier Calculated Shipping (CCS) which calculates the best rates for each shipping zone you create based on the address the customer puts in. You can see more about how CCS works from the guide Shopify has here

I hope this helps and explains the reasoning behind the solutions provided and the best next steps to take for what you are looking for. Should you have any other questions about it or anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1588 64 180

Hi Natasha, 

No problem at all. My pleasure. 

Something to note with the checkout is that it will always revert back to the currency your store is set in. This is something which is the same for all Shopify stores across the board. However being able to sell in multiple currencies is something which is currently in beta for Shopify Plus stores right now. You can find out more about this from the information document Shopify has about it here

Regarding the prices, I know what you mean, you want to round up the prices so it doesn't look off for the customer who is visiting from a different country than what you are in? There are some currency converter apps in the Shopify App Store which can do this for you. Let's take a look at some of them below: 

Auto Currency Switcher, for example, mentions the following in the app description which I think is exactly what you're looking for. 22-09-z4pds-d7fww

I hope this helps and answers your question. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any others. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes