Remove Variants without deleting past order data

2 0 0

Hello,

We are switching our site from using variants to the bold options app. What we need to do is remove the variants from our existing products so that they can be replaced with bold options. When I do that however, the chosen variants on previous orders are also deleted. So, for any orders in progress, we lose record of the options the customer chose and for all past orders, we lose all prior order data to be able to see in the past what options were chosen for reporting/statistical purposes.

I'm hoping there is a way I can add some code to my product liquid template that says if the product has a certain tag, then hide the variants so that the customer does not see them and will not get to choose them. Is this possible? If so, could someone point me in the right direction? Willing to hire someone if they can assist me or do it for me.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Bump. Would anyone have any suggestions for this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
1151 0 118

Do you have a means of identifying, e.g. based on some SKU naming convention, which SKUs you wish to hide? Seems to me that is only way the tagging idea works because the tag is at the product level. If you need to "tag" on the variant level, then you are talking about probably adding a metafield at the variant level and using it to determine via liquid whether or not the variant is to be shown.

You would be looking at the "SELECT" area of your product code form and would add IF...THEN logic on the loop through the variants for the product to determine if the choice is shown. Is it just one "option" via shopify (e.g. color versus color / size)?

BTW - and you should contact support to confirm - but deleting variants won't delete the info from the order info. It would break a link between the ordered item and the item on the store in terms of being able to view it, but I believe the order info remains as items in the database.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes