Remove old tags from store's "filter by" drop down menu

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am trying to remove tags from the 'Filter by' drop down menu. I've taken over the job of updating/taking care of our website and would like to clear out old tags/ things not needed. 

I have selected all products and deleted the tags no longer wanted. However they still show up on the website in the 'filter by' drop down menu.

How do I get them to go away?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 20 49

Hi, @RMFmackenzie

Thank you for reaching out to us, I'd be happy to look into that for you. What theme are you using? Did you want to completely get rid of the "filter by" drop down, or did you just want specific tags taken off of the list? 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 10

@Brie I would love to know how I can remove the drop down filter altogether. If not that, then I'd like to know how to hide tags from the filter. Any suggestions? (Venture theme)

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

We are using theme Atlantic_v14.1.0

I want to get rid of specific tags and keep the 'filter by' drop down. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 20 49

Hi, @ShopMaster99

For the Venture theme, you can remove the drop down completely by navigating to Online Store > Themes > Customize (beside your current theme) > select Collection pages from the top drown down menu > select Collection from the lefthand panel > uncheck the box beside "Enable tag filtering". 

Hey, @RMFmackenzie!

If you've removed the tags from all of your products and you still see that tag the drop down menu, there may be an issue with your theme. If this is the case, your best bet may be reaching out to your theme developer directly. With that being said, if you'd like to show me an example of a product you've deleted that still shows up on the list, I'd be happy to take a look for you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Brie,

I'm having the same issue - I'd like to remove unwanted tags from the 'Filter by' drop down menu - please advise?

We're using the Debut theme and I have currently unticked 'Enable tag filtering' until this is fixed - but I would like to have the drop down filter available, without unwanted tags.

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 20 49

Hi, @PaulDonoughue!

If you'd like to get rid of specific tags there, you'll need to remove all of the unwanted tags from the products themselves. If they've been removed from the products already but still show there, you'll want to reach out to the theme developer to take a look (whether that is us or a third party developer). If you're using a free Shopify theme, feel free to let me know and I can move this to email to take a look for you. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks Brie.

To be specific. I would like to remove the tags from the products AND the drop-down filter menu AND get rid of them from EVERYWHERE.

I am using default Shopify Theme Debut (Version 16.5.4)

My email is marketing@optimus-materials.com

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 10

Hey @PaulDonoughue 

The reply that Brie sent me earlier worked for me to remove the dropdown, but even though I've deleted all irrelevant tags they still show in the list of choices when tagging new products. I've never found a solution to remove them 100% from everywhere. 

Getting them out of the product listings is pretty easy though, from your product list, click the box to select all, then under 'more actions' choose 'remove tags'. You can select specific tags and remove them in bulk from all selected products. 

@Brie wrote:

Hi, @ShopMaster99

For the Venture theme, you can remove the drop down completely by navigating to Online Store > Themes > Customize (beside your current theme) > select Collection pages from the top drown down menu > select Collection from the lefthand panel > uncheck the box beside "Enable tag filtering". 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello! Thank you very much for that - I'd already taken that action.

The thing is that I would like to use the 'Filter By' option - just not with the existing tags. I'd like to remove these tags and start again with them.

Cheers

Paul

0 Likes