Remove old tags from store's "filter by" drop down menu

Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1044 100 152

Hey, @lfutterman.

Welcome to the thread!

I understand that you're experiencing tags reverting despite making sure that the tags were deleted. Just to confirm, do you have any third-party apps that might be importing or syncing products?

If so, and you may need to keep the app for syncing or importing inventory, we can definitely look at disabling the "filter by" function for your theme. For the Debut theme, you can disable tag filtering through the Storefront editor ('Online store > Themes > Customize'). In the Storefront editor, simply switch the page from 'Homepage' to 'Collection pages' and click into the section's settings (also called 'Collection pages'). From there, find and disable the option for "tag filtering."

Here's a screenshot from my test store using the Debut theme: 

15-49-fcikx-a705v

If you're not using a third-party app and the tags keep reverting, then this is something that our Support team will need to take a look at for your account. However, before we move forward with that, can you check whether the issue persists on a another theme? Preferably, testing with another one of our free themes

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
bicycleshop
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using one of Shopify's free themes, the "Debut" theme, which offers filtering-by-tag through a drop-down menu. I like this option, I want to keep it. I don't want to disable it. However, old tags that are no longer associated with any products (neither active nor draft products) are still appearing in the drop-down filtering menu.

How might I remove old tags from the drop-down menu that are no longer associated with any product?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1044 100 152

Hello, @bicycleshop.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you're looking to remove some of the tags that are still appearing in your filter-by-tag list. Typically, if the tags are still appearing in the filter list, then it's possible that it's still present on one of your products. Were you able to go through the tags for all of your products?

If not, you can use the bulk editor and adjust up to 50 products per page - which will allow you to check the tags more easily. Using the bulk editor, you can add the product properties for tags and view them in a single column. From there, simply look through the tags and remove the ones you want to take out of the filter list. 

Here's an example of the bulk editor from my test store:

03-04-5rofe-ysk75

While I'm unable to take a closer look at your account, as we're unable to authenticate merchant accounts via the Community Forums. However, if you run into any issues or you're unable to remove the tags in your filter list, our Support team would be happy to assist you with this through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

0 Likes
Boujee77
1 0 0

I am having the same issue please help!

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1044 100 152

Hey, @Boujee77.

Welcome to the thread!

Just to confirm, are you trying to remove old tags from your products/filter list? Or, are you looking to disable the filtering option on your theme? If so, I've covered the steps for both of these actions in my last two posts in the thread - did you get a chance to try them out?

If you run into any roadblocks when trying removing the product tags or disabling the filters, then this is something that our Support team can help you with. While I'm unable to take a closer look at your account, as we aren't able to provide account-specific support via the Community Forums. However, our Support team would be happy to assist you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know whether the suggestions from earlier in the thread or our Support team can help you resolve the issue. Let me know!

0 Likes