Removing old URLs

saleenajohn
3 0 1

Hello Everyone, 

Last month we moved our online shop from an old DIY site host to Shopify. We retained the top level domain www indigo-silver co uk but inherited a new URL structure but Google still believes all the old URLs to be searchable.

Whilst I set up a number of URL redirects, I used Google Webmaster's URL Removal tool to deal with the rest - rightly or wrongly.

Just recently Google emailed me to say that I had over 2700 404's and when I checked the removal tool, sure enough Google had expired all the removed URLs - it seems you can only temporarily remove URLs now?

Shopify don't allow the Robots.txt to be edited, so is there a way to exclude these using meta tags? Most of them are grouped into 1 of 2 URL styles so hopefully I can specify the initial URL format for those 2 styles followed by a wild card character in some way?

Thanks in Advance

Regards: Diksha

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2583 339 526

@saleenajohn 

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I did want to let you know that you are able to edit the robots.txt file as of June 21st. You can view more information on this launch through our Community post here. Hope that helps!

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog