Renewal and monthly payment of my account undesired!

MohdTaj
4 0 0

Hello, I'm kindly approaching you before i talk to paypal ahead about these automatic billings that are happening without my confirmation, and I've heard shopify has great customer support and may help a lot with this issue.

I'm extremely confused onto how does shopify billing works, I was told there's a trial and afterwards I get 29$ immediately deducted without even asking me if I'd like to continue, presenting an option or confirming even if i wanted to pay or not! just straight out cut from my paypal and debit card. And i have NOT listed any products, I have NOT linked any payment gateways ever to that shopify account attached that's being billed, i have literally not done a single thing except explore the shopify options and associated applications. 

Now even recently shopify attempted to bill me again!! on like Oct 3rd for 38.99$!? 

- My proofs are even the store had never been password-free, meaning no one can access it except myself. I have never used shopify before, I don't know how to completely close it out apparently i keep getting billed, i'm a college student and i just lost 29$ like that unnecessarily, and now shopify is forcing me to pay 38.9$ on top of it? please return the 29$ paid earlier and cancel out this 38.9$ that for whatever reason i'm obliged to pay where i haven't even confirmed or asked for a renewal! and kindly close out this supposedly shopify store completely please. 

Store link: https://backgems.myshopify.com/admin

Thank you, have a good day. 

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
667 43 84

Hi, @MohdTaj!

Sophia here from Shopify. I understand that you weren't expecting to receive an invoice, and I'm happy to review the account and billing with you to clarify what happened.

If you are able to login to your account, the breakdown of the invoice you received can be reviewed under Settings > Billing. While it's against Shopify's Terms of Service to issue subscription refunds, we can absolutely consult our Billing team to see if an exception can be made in this case, providing you won't be using the account going forward.

Free trial

You're correct that there's a 14-day free trial available to explore the platform and decide whether it's the right fit for your business. The trial period can be used to set up your store before you're ready to start selling. No billing information needs to be entered in order to use the free trial. You would only be required to enter your billing information and select a plan if you're ready to sell before the trial period ends, or are positive that you'll be continuing after the trial and are purchasing a domain and/or premium theme.

Billing information

It sounds like you may have added your PayPal account under Settings > Billing in the admin. Adding payment information to the account ensures that your account will remain active once the free trial ends, moving from the free trial period to a subscription based on the plan you chose. By default, invoices for Shopify subscriptions are issued every 30 days. If no billing information is added and no plan is selected, the account will simply be paused after the free trial period ends. You can then log in and select a plan whenever you're ready to continue. You can find more information on how billing works here in the Shopify Help Center.

Closing a Shopify store

To close your Shopify store, you can follow these steps:

1. Log in as the store owner.
  2. From your Shopify admin, click Settings, and then click Plan and permissions.
  3. In the Store status section, click Sell or close store.
  4. Click Close store.
  5. Enter your password to continue.
  6. If you're sure that you want to close your store, then select a reason from the drop-down menu and then click Close store.

To confirm that your store is closed, you can go to your store's URL and see that your store no longer appears. For security reasons, a store needs to be closed by the store owner. If you're having any trouble closing the store or have any questions, please let me know.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
MohdTaj
4 0 0
Firstly, I genuinely appreciate the kind and quick reply that I got Sophia, kindly communicate with your billing team as you’ve mentioned so hopefully we may get into a solution.

Secondly yes you are more than welcome to review the processes and details that went on my shopify account. Before I even say that I had not listed any product or service on my page, I didn’t even design a page in the first place. No services or products were listed whatsoever. The only thing done was exploration of the shopify as a platform, some applications that shopify is associated with.

Thank you for informing on the steps to close up this website, I cannot even close it up that way, all i’m getting is constant emails on billings from this month, and I cannot even close this website.
0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
667 43 84

@MohdTaj wrote:
Firstly, I genuinely appreciate the kind and quick reply that I got Sophia, kindly communicate with your billing team as you’ve mentioned so hopefully we may get into a solution.

Secondly yes you are more than welcome to review the processes and details that went on my shopify account. Before I even say that I had not listed any product or service on my page, I didn’t even design a page in the first place. No services or products were listed whatsoever. The only thing done was exploration of the shopify as a platform, some applications that shopify is associated with.

Thank you for informing on the steps to close up this website, I cannot even close it up that way, all i’m getting is constant emails on billings from this month, and I cannot even close this website.

Thank you, @MohdTaj!

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I've just sent you an email so we can verify the account and look into the billing. Please respond to that email when you have time. Thank you so much.

0 Likes
MohdTaj
4 0 0

I have just replied to your email. Kindly help as urgently as possible, it's gone as far as it's putting a financial hold on my card!!

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
667 43 84

Thanks for your email, @MohdTaj! I see that one of our Support Advisors followed up with you there. Please reply to that email if you have any questions about the account or billing.

Regarding the hold on your card, you will need to speak to your bank or card provider to resolve that. I know it can be a stressful situation. If you've never had a hold on your card before and there was a fee involved, your bank or card provider may be able to waive the fee for you. If it helps, you can let them know that Shopify won't be attempting further charges on the card.

Once three payment attempts have been made on a subscription charge, Shopify cannot make another charge attempt unless you wish to reactivate the account. No further action is required if you don't want to continue with this store.

0 Likes
MohdTaj
4 0 0

Excuse me? read your latest reply to this post, 

" Thank you, @MohdTaj!

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I've just sent you an email so we can verify the account and look into the billing. Please respond to that email when you have time. Thank you so much."

You requested a direct reply to the email you sent me, and now you're saying you want to look into my account to check the billing. 

literally you disregarded the whole situation now, i have NEVER EVER done anything with your app all you do is unnecessarily charge me and throw on more and more charges i don't even know how to close this thing. i do NOT want a refund just waive off the whatever fees that are thrown on my account and that's all i'm asking i don't want to reactive, i have never actively used this, i regret my entire life for trying this 2 weeks trial it was the worst experience. kindly contact your billing team they can check no product was ever listed, no website was ever design all that was done is exploration of your platform. you have no right whatsoever to put a hold on my account, shopify must look into what it has done and waive off the automatic fees it has enlisted on my account, and on top of all of that, shopify even have charged another month?? what is going on!!!!!

It tells me: 

Estimated total

$67.99 USD??? what! absolutely rediculous i'm not paying a penny and i don't want a refund just contact your billing team with the situation and stop putting a hole into college students pockets

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
667 43 84

Hi, @MohdTaj.

I apologize for any confusion that was caused here. 

As mentioned in my initial reply, no billing information needs to be entered in order to use the free trial. You would only be required to enter your billing information and select a plan if you're ready to sell before the trial period ends, or are positive that you'll be continuing after the trial.

You were charged after your 14-day free trial because you selected a plan during the trial and did not close the store before the trial ended. Once there's an outstanding invoice on an account, it can just be left in a frozen state instead of closing it, as closing the store would require access to the admin and therefore settling any outstanding invoices. I understand that you don't want to continue with this store, so you do not need to log into the account again. Invoices will not continue to be issued on a frozen store.

For security reasons, I cannot discuss the details of your account on the forums here as this is a public space, so we'll need to authenticate your account via email to look at the specific invoices and charges. I noticed that you replied on ticket 21500017 to the email we sent you in October, and someone from my team followed up with you there while I was away. We didn't receive another reply from you, so the ticket is now closed.

I've started a new ticket instead so we can resolve this issue. Kindly reply to the new email (ticket 21615076) as soon as you're able to. Thank you.

0 Likes