Repetitive Website Visitor

Solved
2 0 1

Sometime after launching our store's website in August of last year, I noticed that there has been a repetitive visitor that never buys anything.  I notice them in the live view at least five days per week.   The live view puts the dot on the same spot in Kansas over, and over, and over again.  It seems that this visitor views 1 to 3 pages per minute for up to 10 minutes, then leaves.   Should I be concerned that a potential competitor is mining for ideas or stealing content, or could there be another explanation?  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
156 5 45

Hi, @TedBikes!

My initial reaction to your question is that the visitor could be you. It may not be, but it is possible. ISPs can have a pool of locations they're geographically located in depending on the session and it's not uncommon that they can be quite far away from your physical location. So, that person in Kansas might just be your ISP rerouting your location to Kansas.

It is possible that there is a bot scraping your data, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's very common, not really possible to prevent and more than likely not a threat to your website. There's a great post on this topic here that explains in more detail.

_Ash_ | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 1

Thanks for the reply.  It turned out it was not me.  Apparently, the Kansas situation is due to a cellular service provider in my area routing through Kansas.  A customer inside our brick and mortar store used his smartphone to access our website and as soon as he did, Live View showed a visitor on the same spot in Kansas again.  No other web visitors were on the map at that time.

1 Like
1 0 0
Thank you so much for this! It has been bothering me for months that someone was stalking my site! Feel better now!!!
0 Likes