Replace existing images without having to update links across site

1 0 0

We are struggling with how to reference persistent links and image references for assets stored in the Settings > Files section of Shopify. In this article, it is described that if you delete the original image, and upload the new image with the exact same name as the original image, that the new image should appear so long as the link or the image ref did not include the trailing numbers after the file name. 

Unfortunately, this is not working. We do not want to have to update every image or link on our site each time we update a document or and image. Can someone please advise how to maintain persisten URLs?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0

Having the same problem, and no answer for two years? Every time I upload an image to replace one, they all get overwritten with a new number at the end. This goes for all the images in the Files, not just the one I replaced!

0 Likes
Excursionist
26 3 1

host them elsewhere, images can be done with google photos that are made public.

Files maybe google drive?

You are going to have to explore this.

You can just grab the URL's and import product photos/files using this

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 0
Thank you for the suggestion. I originally uploaded hosted URLs but Shopify changed them so the export has completely different references. I'm using variant swatch images across multiple products, so I have to reupload all those products with new URL rather than just changing the image in their Files and it updating everywhere it is connected.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Image management has been my single biggest irritation with Shopify in an otherwise good relationship.  We have 400+ products, each with 3 variants, and each variant has its own product image.  We often bulk update subsets of those 1200+ images, and the process is painfully tedious.  There really is no way currently other than to delete prior image versions before uploading new versions.  Worsening the pain is the very limited search/filter at Settings > Files that won’t allow quoting or regex or another technique to limit results to the exact product subsets we’re updating. (Our product numbering scheme that includes periods may not help, but if so that shouldn’t be the case.) Consequently we end up paging/scrolling through a load of false positive results to find/delete the target images.

An enhancement that would make such a difference is an upload process that functions similar to product import, with an initial dialog containing a check box that specifies replacing files with the same name. Is that too much to ask?

1 Like