Reporting a scam store

WmH2
Tourist
4 0 1

Pb-cat, when I reported the 3 or 4 companies who were scamming through the platform, Shopify never once said that there was a formal process to report them.  Even though the stores were still open and still taking live scans...  even when I presented the invalid contact information on their shops, they did nothing... even when I presented them with invalid tracking numbers for items that were supposed to be in transit, they did nothing.  Shopify's policy to protect their scammers has been proven time and time again.  I now consider anyone using Shopify a scam PERIOD.

pb-cat
Tourist
4 0 7

Thank you for the long list @pdescham49 ! That's exactly what I was talking about. One or a few companies spinning up duplicate sites and running the same scams. I hope your post comes when shoppers search for info about those companies.

@WmH2 It would be safe to take that stance, but there are companies on Shopify who are trying to run an honest company and don't have the budget for development of a custom site. I do wish that Shopify would take more of a stance against these scam stores, though, since it erodes trust with shoppers like you and could hurt their legitimate store owners in the long run.

0 Likes
Julien40
2 0 1

Is there any Shopify employee looking at those posts? 

What's the official Shopify position on this topic ?

Do they just ignore all reports of scam stores their solution supports?

WmH2
Tourist
4 0 1
Their official stance is that they have a contract with the seller. They will not intervene. So it is on us to contact the seller to resolve our issue. Regardless of how much proof that I have supplied in the past to them of corruption was going on. They believe that we can always file a dispute with our credit card companies.

Which makes me wonder if we should be reporting Shopify to the credit card company as the corrupt entity to shut them down.
0 Likes
Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
15 0 10

Perhaps Shopify will start do something about it soon before they start lose the important customers.

Look what Financial Times wrote about them

https://www.ft.com/content/0280592d-0adf-4dcb-a831-4f8a85f414bc

21% of the shops are risk to the shoppers!

The Shopify itself is a bit scam overpriced.

0 Likes
Skipiduweinau
Excursionist
15 0 10

I also think this is what Shopify and Facebook do with your customer data not only by the scammers. 

Shopify has been one of the big corporate winners of the pandemic, with brick-and-mortar retailers rushing to the platform — which offers tools to quickly start selling online — as lockdowns took effect. But con artists have been just as nimble. Some shops appeared to be fronts for collecting personal data without any intent to actually deliver a product, FakeSpot said. It also identified a range of other issues including brand infringement and extremely poor customer service.

MrMagpie
2 0 0

This one has popped up too - I've removed the hyperlink to prevent accidental clicks through. They've ran a sponsored facebook ad on the 23rd December going to this same link, which is a pretend article imitating a UK newspaper website. All links on the site go to the same place and the article is fake too. I've reported to Facebook, but shocked that Shopify have no reporting function for stores that I assume are breaching some T&Cs. 

Hopefully me putting this here might provoke someone at Shopify to investigate further to ensure their reputation isn't suffering: 
https://travel-bench.myshopify.com/apps/lpao/bsab/?fbclid=IwAR0JHWL6SVZ5sRJoYDTQacZc01uK_Kv9bPvLhqYmFLl-moj0OV6qJTsTK1I  

Actually just as I write this there's now a redirect to http://ww6.ilovechaina.com/ from the above link, so the person behind this is likely still active. 

0 Likes
MrMagpie
2 0 0

Another one and seemingly no response from Shopify on this thread:
https://enprofrira.myshopify.com/products/singita-sweni-game-lodge?fbclid=IwAR0BxRDYzCOYugLdf3enTVc8tXzVjnDk7MohrZGQY_R7x1kEURFrq6XHaww  

Ran on a Facebook sponsored ad (which clearly looked fake) and links to a fake Daily Mail article hosted on Shopify. This is harming the reputation of Shopify! 

0 Likes
FrankShaw
1 0 0

Here's another website https://www.alphasupplyco.com/ they sell winter clothing merchandise majorly on their website. However, this company claims to be from United States. I've ordered some jackets for me 30 Nov 2020 and they took almost a month and a half to reach out to me on 12th Jan 2021. I was pissed off because they weren't canceling the order nor they telling me the shipment details and on top of that it wont take that long if coming from US. However, once I received it was funny to see that package has only one label i.e. Canada Post label mentioning originating point to delivery point.

Now I deal with import and export and I'm having packages all the time from all over the world, an international package consists of roughly 7 - 10 labels including (carrier, customs, return address, sometimes airline tags as well). That being said, this https://www.alphasupplyco.com/ is from China and ripping people off in US and Canada, I've done a research on this company and seems like it's not even registered in United States. Someone named Chenchong in Toronto has imported all these goods and then made a Canada Post shipping label to send it over to me. Moreover their return policy doesn't comply and adhere with the local laws, such as, you can only get a refund if there is a product is faulty and they decline all of your claims even if you don't want to keep their product anymore.

Their 24/7 customer service number is always busy, even when you call 4 AM in the morning or any time of the day they tend to communicate on the emails only, which most of them they won't even reply. 

Just like Chinese Virus, China is doing scam and ripping people off all over the world and no body is there to shut them up.

Thanks for ripping off China

0 Likes
Ninagt33
Tourist
3 0 0

I just ran into same issue.

This store Justincase LA is scamming people trying to sell phone cases.

SHOPIFY - How are you allowing these people to create merchant accounts with you guys.. I will trust no store hosted by you guys ever again.

0 Likes