Reporting a scam store

Highlighted
2 0 7

I'm a Shopify store owner, Shopify has for my purposes been a fantastic product. However, as soon as I decided to purchase something from someone else's Shopify store, I was sorely disappointed by a scam website. 

After looking into the site, Strouz, I found that the store owner is operating more than one scam site ripping people off for counterfeit phone cases (Vorus Men, Strouz). In my case, after a product did finally arrive after a month, it's not the same product as advertised, and it wasn't even functional. It arrived unbranded, broken and unable to be used with multiple manufacturing defaults. After attempting to get my money back as per the stores "refund policy", they refused and offered me only a voucher to purchase another case and now will not communicate at all. Upon checking their Facebook, there are only complaints describing the same issues I've had, and they won't allow comments on their Instagram posts for obvious reasons. I tried posting comments on their FB page that were promptly deleted by Strouz.

Why is there no way for us to report scam stores like this?

This kind of store should not be allowed to still be live, scamming more people as is evident by the new reviews on their FB page. Inevitably this kind of deceit only brings down all of the legitimate Shopify operators. Is there some advice someone can give me to have these stores taken down? I don't want more people to have their money stolen and time wasted.   

7 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 6

I totally agree with you. I bought several Black Friday items from various Shopify stores on Facebook. I am sorry to say they were all frauds. ALL OF THEM. Most of the sites have been taken down, and they do not answer email. It is worth mentioning that PayPal will refund your payment if you buy through them.

This is giving a real bad name to China commerce. Shopify needs to protect its reputation against fake stores. It needs to protect consumers by providing a list of "malicious shops" the way Google keeps a list of malicious websites. Why not? The threat of legal class action (by thousands of cheated customers) may compel the owners of Shopify to do just that.

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 4

I totally agree that Shopify has done a **bleep** poor job of allowing consumers to report fraudulant or scam websites.  I was scammed a couple of weeks ago out of $99 for a store using the name Shoptimized on the website but the address was different.  The shop popped up as an ad in Facebook marketplace advertising a product I was interested in and for the most part, the website looked pretty legit in actual design (I realized later that it was using the Shopify issued web address and never had a custom domain attached).  I placed my order while I was sitting at my son's basketball game and didn't think much more about it until it didn't arrive when they said it would.  When I went to check, the entire site had been shut down and the information in the confirmation email was also down.  A week later, I see the same Facebook ad for the same company.  I click on it and it is the exact same website but with a different name.   It was still a Shopify issued address name, https://voetxwpr.myshopify.com.  However, there is absolutely now way that I can find to report this directly to Shopify so they can shut it down.  At this point, Shopify looks like it is supporting these fraudulent sites by giving lip service to trying to prevent it but not actually building in the tools to be able to allow customers to report it.  I have build several websites in Shopify and I expect much, much more from them as my past experience was fantastic.  Step it up Shopify!

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hey all, my 2 -cents worth: if you paid using a credit card, please request a chargeback for your product. Also remember that above 60 days (even less for some), cards may not allow a chargeback. If a merchant gets sufficient chargebacks, generally their account gets frozen - this is the best way to get back at them. There is less of a recourse with debit cards, but see if you have a business bureau or consumer agency that you can complain to (besides raising this up with Shopify).

Most payments in Shopify actually go through Shopify payments, so I'm certain they'll have an incentive to act if there are chargebacks.

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Shopify doesn't really care it seems. There are HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of scam sites on this platform now. AND Facebook allows then to advertise on all platforms. I'm seeing this more and more. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

I got taken by a scam website hosted by Shopify. I have since discovered a 2nd Shopify-hosted website by the same scammers, each of them designed to look like discount clothing suppliers when in fact they're peddling household supplies, to take advantage of people during the coronavirus pandemic. "Lilifashions" and "Ssummers." Watch out for these people. They're based out of China & have been reported on other websites as sending out low quality, counterfeit merch.  I realized they were scammers within minutes of placing my order. I have sent several emails asking them to cancel & haven't heard back. The phone number is fake and their main address is a phony London address. I have submitted a complaint to the FTC.

Shopify has lost my confidence and has no more credibility with me. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Well the good news is that the 2 scam stores I mentioned here have been shut down. The bad news is that several identical ones with new names are now open & being hosted by Shopify! These scam artists are undeterred. And clearly Shopify has a policy problem if it lets these people get away with this. The new ones, btw, are called "Kikishoees" "Onlyno" and "Faciboo." How they come up with these names, I have no idea!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I reached out to Shopify regarding these and other scammy websites, seems they are going to act upon. Let's hope! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Unfortunately, there are many stores like this. Just wanted to share a store that sells fraudulent product because I wish I saw this on a forum. The site is outdoorshopx.com who lures people in with fake Instragram contests to under the Username @Campingxx.

Products are nothing like what they appear. They delete all comments and posts where people speak on this and are riddled with fake profiles spamming positive comments about service. I did not receive a message for 3 months, and the product I received took that long to be received. By that time, I already called my credit card company are reported fraud. They are ordering from the cheapest warehouses in China and products are absolutely nothing like the products listed. That's why it took that long to receive a dollar store item.  I reported this to my credit card company and hope this can help someone out. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Some more new ones that have popped up - "Urdeno" and "tacey12AF" 

1 Like