Reserve Item

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi all,

My client sells high end furniture, and a lot of times a customer wants to reserve an item while they decide whether or not to purchase it.

So in addition to an "Add to cart" button, we need to a "Reserve" button.

I looked in the App store but it looks like there's nothing that currently exists. Is my only option to get a custom solution built?

Thanks,
Rod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
143 0 18

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your post. If a customer adds a product to their cart it will only hold the item for about 5 minutes. That's not nearly enough time to reserve a product. So what I would recommend is that if a customer wants to place a hold on certain products, the merchant can actually send the customer an invoice (draft order) and click Reserve items. This reserves any items that have inventory tracking enabled, but doesn't adjust their actual inventory levels in your Shopify admin.

This is probably the best solution and doesn't require any custom apps.

Try it out and let me know if you have any questions!

John | Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi John,

That's perfect. Thanks so much!

Rod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Sorry to add on to this discussion... but what if the item is available online as well as in store?  Would someone be able to put the item in a cart and check out even though it's reserved?  I've done a test with this and it seems like reserved items are still purchaseable online.

Again, sorry for taking over the thread...

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Yeah, same question here. We are working with the draft orders, too. And it's great. But it is not displayed in the store. Like we have little badges coming up, once a product is "new", on sale or sold out. And we would like it to display "reserved" as well. Plus, you should not be able to put it in your cart (like when it sold out). We only need this for products, where the inventory = 1, everything else is fine.

Any idea?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

I have tried this, but then when I go online to test, I can still add the product to my cart. How can it be "reserved" if I can still purchase it online? The inventory says there is only 1 left, and I need to "reserve" it. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

I had a similar problem where all my inventory in my retail store is also available for sale online. Sometimes my 'in store' customers might want to put something on reserve while they made up their mind about purchasing the product. I can easily take it off the shelf but it would still be for sale online.  In order to change this, I can enter the sale in my POS but do a partial payment of $0.00.  I can also enter the customer's name in the POS app at that time.   This process takes the item out of inventory automatically as a sale even though nothing has been paid yet.  When the customer comes in the purchase the product, I can look up the order number and take payment.  If they change their mind and don't want to purchase the item, I refund the $0.00 on that order and it restocks the product automatically.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

Matthew, I know this was two years ago but did you ever get a resolution to this. I am trying to use the hold feature with the reserve option and it seems to still behave the way you experiened in 2016. Thanks in advance for anytime you can give me on this issue.

Janet

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 1 2

I am noticing this as well still. Has this not been resolved? I don't understand the point of reserving an item if I can still go on the store and buy it?! This seems to defeat the whole idea. I was super excited to see this feature only to see it doesn't actually work.

Looks like the only want to "reserve" is to physically take it off the store website temporarily since the reserve button doesn't seem to do anything

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 0

Did you ever get a response to this? This seems very strange... 

0 Likes