Reuse a purchased domain

Highlighted
6 0 0

When I created my store, I bought a domain on shopify that costed $14. I was told that I will own it for an entire year. My question is that if I were to close my current store, then create a new one, would I be able to use that domain for free since it has not expired yet?

Also,

I recently just made a sell (a few hours ago), and I captured the money and shipped the product to the customer, if I were to close down the store now, will I be able to still receive the money that I captured?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @dbook24,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. The answer is yes, that would be perfectly ok. Once you purchase the domain it is yours and you are free to use it on any website anywhere for as long as you want. You wouldn't use it for free per se, you would still need to renew it each year. You can see the guide Shopify has for this here as well as the section highlighting this below: 

20-05-hynvv-3fot4

To answer your other question. If you are using Shopify Payments,  and the set up is complete with a valid bank account - that should payout no problem, even if the store is closed. If you are using a third-party payment gateway, the set up needed on those would likely need to be complete too, but Shopify would have much less insight and control over how they would operate. 

Hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes