Revolut

Highlighted
6 0 0

Can I use my Revolut personal account as a bank account to receive payouts via shopifypayments ? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 523

Hi @keino,

Nick here from Shopify. Good question! 

I spoke to our financial services team who said you could try, but it would not be supported so there is the possibility of failed payouts. Revolut would be considered a virtual payment service and not bank per se. To guarantee success - you would need to add a proper bank account (current or checking) based in a real physical bank, that is located in the region your store and the Shopify Payments account is set for. You can read more about Shopify Payments from the help guide Shopify has on it here

Are there any other questions you have about getting your store ready and setup? Let me know if you do. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello Nick,

I am also looking to change my bank account currently set up for Shopify Payments (a personal checking account at a physical US bank) to a new Revolut US Business bank account. This would mean one less bank account to deal with and pay for, so it would be very good for our business. Can you explain further why you say that a Revolut account might not work? "there is the possibility of failed payouts. Revolut would be considered a virtual payment service and not bank per se. To guarantee success - you would need to add a proper bank account (current or checking) based in a real physical bank, that is located in the region your store and the Shopify Payments account is set for."

The Revolut account we want to use is a US Revolut account (store is set to US, in USD). According to Revolut's website, an account number and routing number are provided, and it is possible to "Send and receive payments via ACH in the United States of America. The allowance is the combined number of inbound and outbound transfers. Payments between your Revolut accounts or from other Revolut accounts do not count towards the total. Upgrade your plan for a bigger allowance or pay a $0.2 fee per additional payment."

Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,
Francesca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 523

Hi @cescapesca86,

You are welcome to try and use a virtual Revolut type account if you wish, but Shopify can’t guarantee that payouts will be successful because virtual accounts are not officially supported at the moment with Shopify Payments. So if you do run into failed payouts, and are using a virtual account, the only answer may end up being to switch to a supported bank account type. The last thing I would want to see is a failed payout to any store owner. 

I will submit a feature request on your behalf regarding this though and add your feedback from this topic reply. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Is World First also in the same category as Revolut? They are virtual but seem to be affiliated with Citibank.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 523

Hi @AJ2020,

I had not even heard of World First until you mentioned it here so I'm not sure to be perfectly honest. My advice would be to stick to a proper bank account (current or checking) based in a real physical bank, that is located in the region of your store to guarantee your payouts. 

0 Likes