Running multiple domains from one shopify store - Also all with a slight difference, is it possible?

Tourist
35 0 2

Hi, we stock a vast amount of different items and we are just about to upload a huge database of thousands of items to our store. Whilst these all fit under one catagory (domestic appliance spares), we also specialse and stock high amounts of spares unavailable from  elsewere as well as genuine and own branded variants.

What we would like to do, if possible is list our whole catalouge on our main website (www.radfordvaccentre.com)

Then, id like to have a domain (which we have just purchased) for e.g jet-wash-spares.com. When on this site, id like customers to see a different store front (which would just be jet wash spares) and only show manufacturers or collections related to jet wash parts or even just ones i could manually select.

Id like to be able to do this multiple times as we are planning on purchased and switching a lot of domains over to shopify if this is possible. 

If anyone could help I would be very grateful. Thanks

2 Likes
Tourist
35 0 2

Can anybody help or let me know if this is possible? We really want to continue to work with Shopify but if we are unable to do this all from one database we will need to choose another proivder as the workload in creating and managing multiple stores without expensive software would be a nightmare and is an option using other shopping cart software

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 4

I would also like to see this.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
6 0 1

Hey Guys.
My name is Morgan and I'm a Guru here at Shopify.
The only way that this could be done through Shopify is if you had the custom URLs point to specific collections. You can't have different store-fronts per se, but you could direct the user to a collection of specific products related to the domain namer they typed in.

For example, if you have www.store.com with collection 1 and 2,
you should be able to set URL1 to point to www.store.com/collection1 and URL2 to point to www.store.com/collection2 etc.

I realize it's not exactly what you're after, but is a workaround for sure.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 4

I've been unable to find a method of doing this... Perhaps I'm just missing something basic.

Could you provide a bit of detail or a pointer to thie information?

I have several domains; each needs to point to a specific collection. There is a lot of product overlap so I don't want unique sites, but unique collections would work (although multiple home pages unique to their domains would be better)

Thanks

g

1 Like
2 0 3

We've managed to do it.

For example we sell air purifiers at www.airpurifiershop.hk and sell water filters at www.waterfiltershop.hk

But in the end its the same shopify store we use. Just different domains, and some customization.

The problem we are currently encountering is I would like to combine products between the different shops. Somehow the cart doesn't allow it. So if I jump to another "domain/shop" the cart is empty again. Same goes for customer accounts.

3 Likes
9 0 0

Hi Paul, I need to do exactly the same thing as you've achieved with your stores, how did you maange it?

I have a master store, but I sell to several unique markets and they don't relate from a domain/business name perspective.

I'm desperate to find out how to accomplish what you have achieved.

0 Likes
2 0 3

For us it only worked because we are using the same theme across all domains. 

I managed to do it by using some Javascript in the code. I think it's probably an ugly solution, but it works for us so far.

For example

First some code to identify the domain

<script>
  var lo0 = window.location.hostname  
  var lo1 = lo0.substring(4,10);
  var lomain;

if (lo1 =='greenb' ) {lomain = "gbx";}      
        else if (lo1 == 'airpur' ) {lomain = "aps";} 
        else if (lo1 == 'dehumi' ) {lomain = "dhs";} 
 </script> 

Then per item we wanted changed, use some other script. For example to change the logo on our page:

<script>
  if ( lomain == 'gbx') {document.getElementById("logochange").src = "{{ 'logo-gbx.png' | asset_url }}" ;}
  else if ( lomain == 'aps') {document.getElementById("logochange").src = "{{ 'logo-aps.png' | asset_url }}" ;}
  else if ( lomain == 'dhs') {document.getElementById("logochange").src = "{{ 'logo-dhs.png' | asset_url }}" ;}
  </script>

This is how I did it. A lot of trial and error and a lot of searching forums and googling for info. Hope this helps you.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
35 0 3

Thanks, this is interesting. Let me see if I understand what you've done:

1. So it's the same myshopify.com URL, but you've added multiple Domains in Online Store/Domains?

2. Then, you use the javascript to serve a differnet logo depending on which domain your myshopify is being rendered? Leaving "Redirect all traffic to this domain" in 'Set Primary Domain" un-checked?

3. Then you've set 301 redirects for some of your collections, so you can forward traffic from the root domains to category pages, e.g. http://www.airpurifiershop.hk/ forwards to http://www.airpurifiershop.hk/?view=aps which serves an air purifiers Collection?

Digital marketing and marketing tech expert. I help businesses build wholistic customer flows from advertising, landing pages, ecommerce, lead capture to crm, email marketing, retargeting and more.
1 Like
Shopify Partner
277 0 40

it absolutely can be done.

you have to direct your cname to shopify and leave your a record on your host.

0 Likes