SHOPIFY HAVE CHANGED MY PAYOUT SCHEDULE TO 90 DAYS WITHOUT MY CONSENT AND WITHHELD £75K.. DO NOT USE.

Highlighted
1 0 1

This is a serious warning to anyone thinking of starting a new business on Shopify.. Although their platform is good and pretty easy to setup, when something goes wrong with this service you are on your own. Recently Shopify have been in touch "we have reviewed your account and decided we are going to stop paying out YOUR money to you and put you on 90 day payouts, this includes all past transactions that have not yet been paid out." 

Now you might think Shopify are well within their rights to do this? - but if you had £75,000 taken out of your business, you still have to pay all wages, cant buy any more stock. Also the VAT is due on all of those sales. Shopify already changed my payout terms to 30 days because they didnt like how well we were doing as a business. I get reminded all of the time that we are in the top 1% of performing stores on Shopify blah blah blah. 

The annoying thing about all of this is all of these orders have been shipped, fulfilled and completed, surely Shopify should be looking into actual customer complaints instead of potential "risk." We sell £299 items on our store for this Shopify charge us £6.50 per transaction, a number of transactions are flagged as fraudulent from customers, we leave these and contact the customer in case these are fraudulent. Some are and some arent, but we find that we get some really angry customers when we tell them orders have been held because of fraud. The fraudulent customers have charged back and we would of been down £299 if we had sent the products and chargeback occurs. Shopify's response to these chargebacks? "risky" lets put them on 90 day terms, in fact.. All of that other money that was processed and sent out with tracking numbers, lets hold on to that and accrue interest. The annoying thing is Shopify has already been paid for those and taken their cut. Shopify have made thousands from us (we are one of the top performing stores as mentioned) 

Shopify havent been willing to cooperate on this at all and just expect you to be OK with it. This isn't the first case I've heard of either, lots of customers complaining about payouts and lets face it, we are in business to at least try and make some money. I WOULD SERIOUSLY WARN ANY STARTUP OR BUSINESS WHEN STARTING A SHOPIFY TRIAL. 

1 Like
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
78 0 6

Hi Rory,

Cian here from Shopify. Thank you for raising your concerns.

I definitely empathise with your position. First of all we do not take these things lightly. Shopify is in the business of facilitating commerce and helping merchants to make money. We are not here to make life difficult!

There are always valid reasons when a merchant’s payouts are put on-hold - such as an elevated risk associated with a store’s product base. A chargeback can be received at any time for a product whether or not it has been shipped. This is why payouts can be put on hold for up to 90 days at a time.

This is outlined clearly in Shopify Payments Terms of Service:

“Stripe, on behalf of Shopify and/or Wells Fargo reserves the right to change the Payout Schedule or suspend payouts to your Bank Account should we determine it is necessary due to pending disputes, excessive or anticipated excessive Chargebacks or refunds, or other suspicious activity associated with your use of the Service or if required by law or court order.”

For more information on this see the following link:  https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms-payments-us

When the level of risk is too high for Shopify and our partners to under-take, we will certainly point the merchant in the direction of an alternative payment gateway that has a greater appetite for risk. The merchant would be able to receive new payments there.

I have emailed you directly. I would be happy to discuss your individual case with you there.

All the best,

Cian

0 Likes
2 0 2

I am in the same situation. Shopify has turned off my payment gateway.  I have loved shopify until this point however it is not worth the risk unless you enjoy losing thousands of dollars as much as you enjoy building the site with shopify's user-friendly options.

Cian H reply is obviously anecdotal because I am proof that they are still turning off your store when they feel like it with no explanation. I understand mitigating risk but I have 0 chargebacks and process 300-1000 dollars every day. my customers are happy and I know this because I talk to them every day.

Shopify should be held accountable to the cost and customer relationships that I have built and should not be allowed to do this to others.

2 Likes
1 0 0
Hi,

I’m a teenager looking for ways to earn money. I don’t know where to start, and I would appreciate your help. Apparently the best products to sell are plaid shirts, but I don’t know, I don’t want to risk it. What do you do?

I know’s it’s been 3 years so I don’t expect a reply, but if you do notice it please help. Thanks.
0 Likes