SOLUTION: Excluding Discount Codes on Sale Items in Shopify

Highlighted
2 0 1

So I just tried it by creating a collection that excludes all of my Sale Items. Then I created a Discount Code for a percentage off all items in that collection. I tested it by adding both a non-sale item and a sale item and the coupon is working correctly, only discounting the items that are not on sale.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Hi BartLee... thanks! i didnt include the sales collection but the sales collection is also mixed in the other collections and I cant find a way to remove them. I want to add to the collection, product tag not equal to SALE but I can only put "equal to", How do you exclude ur sales from the normal collections? Really appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

So this is by no means efficient, especially if you have a large amount of Sales items (and Shopify should really have a better to do this) but I created a new collection called "Default" for example. I then said "Products must match all conditions" and for me those were something like:

Product title does not contain SALE

Product title does not contain coaster set

Product title does not contain ornaments, etc. etc.

and add as many conditions as needed to cover all your sale items.

Then in my discount codes I chose the code to only apply to the specific collection "Default".

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 11

Hey @FunkySimplicity I think I see what your problem is. I have set mine up in the opposite way. I have one main collection that automatically includes all items with the tag "full price". Every discount code I make (with a few exceptions for specialty deals) applies only to the full price collection. If you want your discount code to apply to a smaller segment, you need to set up a new collection that narrows it down. For mine, I have "product tag is equal to full price", plus "product type is equal to..." and "product vendor is equal to..." etc. Anything other that tags can use the 'not equal to' feature.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.04.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.04.09 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

I totally hear what you did but I do not know how to do it myself. I make a new collection with all items except sales.. but how??? Thank you so much!! i don't get why we can't put in Product tag does NOT contain Sales.. that would be the fix of all.. Silly of shopify i really don't get it

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 11

I know how you feel, it took me ages to get it working right too. Basically, I have the 'Full Price' tag on all of my products. As you can see in the screen shot I added above, my collection only has products that include the 'Full Price' tag. Then when I put them on sale, I remove 'Full Price' and add 'Sale'. (I use an app that does this automatically for me.) When the tag changes to 'Sale', the product is automatically removed from my "not on sale" collection, so any discount codes used will no longer apply to the item. My sales are a mix of price reductions and discount codes, so this helps to keep everything straight. As long as the product tag is correct, whether 'Sale' or 'Full Price', the correct discount will apply.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi there.  @ShopMaster99 says it well.  We have all gotten by with strategies using tags & collections.
It isn't the most user friendly but gets the job done.
I would suggest to keep to the same 'method' you develop so you can keep things straight and easily make 'global' changes (i.e. using bulk
change on tags or an app, etc. ) going forward.

Just take getting used to.

Good luck!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

It's a joke that in 2020 this is still to my knowledge not fixed by Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Come on Shopify. How many of your customers are crying out for an easy way to exclude products already on sale from discount codes?

You are leaders in eCommerce so why isn't this simple option available? Feel free to stick your necks out and answer.

Again, come on, address it in the good old fashioned North American way - do it with excellent customer service and care. Your continent sent the first men to the moon for goodness sake and this functionality aint' rocket science!

I'm still flabbergasted that you haven't addressed it.

1 Like
Highlighted

@FunkySimplicity  I set up my collections using the 'Product must match ALL conditions'.  Using the 'Product must match ANY condition' can be very confusing unless your data is very simply set up. ANY condition matches can include/exclude products and it can be very hard to determine if the results are bringing everything back it should.  I think as we all 'adjust' for the way Shopify is set up, tags, collections, discounts, etc..etc...etc.  the data gets more convoluted as we go.

When using the ANY condition will mean that the very first condition it reads that is TRUE , is a 'match' and will INCLUDE that product in the results. Once it has a TRUE match, it stops matching any more conditions and moves on to the next product. At least that is the way those types of condition matches have worked since the beginning of I.T. and I am assuming that is the was they work in Shopify.  Who am I to guess how they set it up though.  Just using logic I have applied for many years. 

Seems we have all evolved to working with collections to slice & dice our data to groups we want to use.  

0 Likes