SOLUTION: Excluding Discount Codes on Sale Items in Shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 2

Chiming in here to follow along and to say that I also need discounts code to apply to MSRP (compare at price) instead of the sale price.  Seems like it would be quite easy to implement by Shopify or an app. 

I have a bunch of sponsored athletes and coaches, and their discounts need to apply to full price. My scenario is quite common in the outdoor sports industry. My workaround is to always use discount codes for sales, but that has a few major downsides.

1) I have a lot of variants, and if I'm overstock on one particular variant, I run a deeper sale on that specific variant. This doesn't work easily for customers with codes. 

2) Google shopping really needs a sale price, not a code, otherwise you're just advertising your MSRP, not your discount price. This obviously isn't going to convert. 

Highlighted
1 0 2

Seriously. We need this issue fixed! We have a sale collection. Excluded from most discount codes HOWEVER.... if you uses a rewards program and they are generating codes for discounts.... the customer is then able to use it to get additional sale. Our sale items are 30% marked down, but a customer just used their 25% off code. SO they got 55% off. Please Shopify help us. 

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 5
i fixed it in the end in the easiest way. I made a new collection which the customer can’t see with all the full prices items inside that collection. And that collection is the only collection that can be used with discount coupons so then the problem is fixed. Was easy in the end but still, really really silly that Shopify still hasn’t fixed this basic problem. Shame on you shopify - u make millions and we still have to do silly things like this to solve a very very basic issue - nobody wants to give discount on discounted items.
Hope u will manage
Highlighted
1 0 0

I can't find where to add the collection under the coupon code. ("In your coupon, select the "Non-Sale Items" collection as the limiting condition.")

0 Likes
Highlighted

@destimagination 

In the Value box, you indicate the discount value, then Specific Collections.  You then search for the collection of products you want the code to be eligible on and select it. 

Screenshot (136)_LI.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Derek, you magnificent problem solver. This solution worked a treat! I couldn't figure out how to exclude products from discounts (as it's not a built-in Shopify feature) but this workaround did the job for me. I did not realise before that entering $0 into the Compare At Price has virtually no effect on the frontend, but can be used for rule setting in the backend.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 6

Thanks for posting this. It is a really simple but elegant solution. Ideal for flash "discount" sales that won't discount already on sale products.

For those who don't understand the steps, this is what I did:

1. Created a collection "Exclude Sale Items". I didn't include it in any navigation so it is "sort of" hidden although keep in mind it will be in your sitemap so can be found in a search engine.
  2. In the Exclude Sale Items collection I set the Products must match "all conditions" and "Compare at price" to "no". This tells Shopify that you are including full price items only.
  3. Remember, if you put an item on sale in Shopify you add a compare at price to it. So this condition just excludes all sale items. Almost there...
  4. I have gift wrapping in my client's store so I also set "Product title" to "is not equal to" gift wrapping - "gift wrapping" is the name of my product so it won't ever be discounted.
  5. Finally I then created a Discount called "On Sale" and added the collection "Exclude Sale Items" to it and set a percentage discount of 25%.
  6. Now, this all gets a bit more tricky if you want to have multiple discounts with different percentages. My advice is to use the KISS mentality. Just discount by one amount for a flash sale and then if you really want to quickly sell products from your store then you would have to go back and use a compare at price for individual products or collections and heavily discount them. Great thing is, if you do this then compare at price items will never have any additional discount added to them.

Easy!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@WasWooCommerce  Thanks for the great detailed 'step by step'!! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 6

Well, we're all in this together. Shopify don't seem inclined to help us. In the words of the famous Steve Miller Band song, Shopify just "Take the money and run".

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I'm trying this at the moment and I'm not able to select "all conditions" --> "compare at price" --> "NO". "NO" is grayed out and I cannot select. Anyone else bump into this issue?

0 Likes