SOLUTION: Excluding Discount Codes on Sale Items in Shopify

5 0 0

Wanting to set up a discount code in readiness for Black Friday and having items already on an 'End of Season' sale I have come across this issue.  I had already figured out that you could use the tags to assign the items as 'normal' or 'non-sale' but unfortunately this shows up on the left had menu as we use the tags to filter. I find it frustrating that you cannot have a simple opt-out to ignore 'sale' items. I have considered the option to change the product type but this would mean restructuring the website, which is updated by a POS system as we have a bricks and mortar store.  I have spent hours on this problem and can see no easy solution, 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hi Ruth_Goodyear.

This is the solution I have found and I hope it helps.

1. For all items that AREN'T on sale, the Compare at Price should be set to $0, NOT LEFT BLANK. (this should be pretty self explanatory if you use Compare at Pricing)
  2. Create a New Collection with the following details:
    Title: Not On Sale
    Collection type: Automatic
    Conditions: Compare at Price is equal to $0.
  3. Go to the upper right where it says Collection Availability and click Manage
  4. In the Manage sales channel visibility window deselect all the options and click Done (this will stop the collection from showing up anywhere but the backend. It also stops it from being indexed by Google.)
  5. Save the collection.
  6. Now go to Discounts.
  7. Select the discount you want to exclude discount items or create a new one.
  8. Under APPLIES TO selection Specific collections and type Not On Sale
  9. Now Save the discount.

Congrats! You now have an automatic collection with non-sale items! 

Just make sure everytime you remove a sale item you set the Compare at Price to $0

1 Like
2 0 3

Another one here to say not having this option really is absurd by Shopify

1 Like
1 0 0

Nich -

@NichCitarella wrote:

Hi Ruth_Goodyear.

This is the solution I have found and I hope it helps.

1. For all items that AREN'T on sale, the Compare at Price should be set to $0, NOT LEFT BLANK. (this should be pretty self explanatory if you use Compare at Pricing)
  2. Create a New Collection with the following details:
    Title: Not On Sale
    Collection type: Automatic
    Conditions: Compare at Price is equal to $0.
  3. Go to the upper right where it says Collection Availability and click Manage
  4. In the Manage sales channel visibility window deselect all the options and click Done (this will stop the collection from showing up anywhere but the backend. It also stops it from being indexed by Google.)
  5. Save the collection.
  6. Now go to Discounts.
  7. Select the discount you want to exclude discount items or create a new one.
  8. Under APPLIES TO selection Specific collections and type Not On Sale
  9. Now Save the discount.

Congrats! You now have an automatic collection with non-sale items! 

Just make sure everytime you remove a sale item you set the Compare at Price to $0

Doesn't this mean they will not be visible in your shop? What if you wanted to keep them in your store but not on sale (so people can still purchase full price) while other items are on sale?

0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 0

Hey there, it does have this option but you're looking at it the wrong way.

Instead of excluding product you don't want, include products that meet a criteria by using smart tags to tag a product when it meets a set of guidelines.

Then setup a collection to have only those with this tag and add them to you discount code.

Regards

Ben

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Nope!

The Compare at Price is the previous price of a product now on sale.

The amount in the Price field is always the price that the customer will pay. Since we aren't changing the Price the amount charged won't change.

So having the Compare at Price set to $0 tells shopify, "The original price of this product was $0, but now it is $99".

All that doesn't matter tho because shopify considers a $0 value and BLANK value to be essentially the same.

If you still don't believe it, feel free to make a mock product and the store and try it out.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

This method is intended for people that are using themes or an implementation of tags that are visible on the front end and they don't want a NOT ON SALE tag to appearing to visitors. There are a couple of people in the discussion that had this problem, so this is a work around.

Not to mention this method doesn't require you to use an app that you'll probably end up having to pay for. So if we are going by merit of Built-in Shopify Functionality than actually you're looking at this the wrong way.

Regardless, it yields the exact same result.

0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 0

Thanks @NichCitarella... my solution is an option as always, its a different perspective. Seems to work well and it's 100% automated as new products are added and removed, all categories are updated without fail.

I appreciated the discussion and the detailed responses given, and appreciate your workaround.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 8

Thank you everyone above for all the excellent suggestions. I'm not sure any of these will work for me though. Like several of the people above, I offer an ongoing discount to specific customers (industrial sales) on specific products (in collections) but not to anyone else. As far as I can see, all the above discussions are intended for people applying a discount to the entire store. So when I offer a percentage discount on a specific collection only, I can't see how any of the "put them in a collection" options would work for me. 

I totally understand why Shopify can't include this, since sale items are not actually "on sale", they're just set to a different price. However it would be nice to have a feature in the discount codes that says 'include a specific collection' AND 'exclude collections' so I could include my featured collection, but also select exclude the sale & clearance collections. (which in my case are two separate collections) Any input, Shopify Gurus?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 1
Well, if you just want certain products for certain people to have a discount, you can:
-Create a collection
-Manually add the products
-On the discount page add that collection only
-Select the customers
-Save
The discount code will only apply to those items for those people.

If you are including collections, there is no reason to exclude anything...cause only the collections you select will receive the discount and everything else is automatically excluded.

Are you saying that your featured collection has sale and clearance items in it?

Just trying to understand your issue.
0 Likes