SSN Questions

KawaiiStore
1 0 0

Hello,

I am a 17 year old and I am interested in starting a Shopify store. I am aware that I will have to have one of my parents be the owner of the account and I would need one of their Social Security Numbers in order to accept payments through Payment Gateways in the United States. I’ve tried a couple of Third Party Payment Gateway’s and all that I’ve tried require a SSN. Are there any Payment Gateway’s that do not require SSN for people living in the United Stated and if I were to use Shopify Payments what does Shopify do with my SSN, and can someone access it through hacking into my Shopify account? This is one of the main concerns of my parents giving me their SSN.

Thank you for your time!

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2022 161 436

@KawaiiStore 

I'm afraid I don't have information on third-party payment providers and what they require, so hopefully one of our Community members can shed some light on that question for you. In terms of Shopify Payments, the SSN is securely uploaded for our Banking Partners to verify, and it kept on record for tax reasons. The information can not be accessed by you, or through your Shopify admin as it is kept separately from your account. If your account were to become compromised, the SSN would remain secure. 

Once you have turned 18, you can reach out to our Support to have our teams update the information file to list you as the Account Owner for your Shopify Payments account. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes