Safe Harbor - European Store

Shopify Partner
10 0 0

help i am so confused can we legally blank this feild out now as we are loosing so many customers? if not has anyone found a better why to phrase this with scaring the customers away ?

Many Thanks Jo 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Fixed

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 14

Hi Jo, 

Legally, as a UK or EU business, the customer must agree that their data will go to the USA in advance of them committing their data to you. You must be 100% clear with them that their data will go to the US and that they agree to same. Only once Shopify is certified by the US Authorities and listed on https://www.privacyshield.gov/list can you blank out the sentence whereby they give their authorisation for their data to go to the US.

Keep checking the list, hopefully just a few more days.

Regards,

Graham

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5 0 0

Good morning,

I can't give advice about what to do about that message in a particular jurisdiction for a particular shop, just too much complexity and ambiguity.

I can say that we were keeping an eye on the checkout conversion data before and after the message started appearing and observed no change. We were really concerned there might be a drop in conversation rate and we would have to revisit how to approach it but there wasn't one. That's not to say individual shops with a particular clientele could not have seen a drop but we couldn't find any evidence of one.

Chris

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

we must of been in the few we have had several phone calls and had to resure cutomers who have telephoned to pay. becouse of the statment they have not wanted to continue with ther purchase on line it has just concerned me for every 10 that call how many dont bother . Also it may not  show in our conversion rate as we have been trying diffrent things to increase it but it has stayed the same and we fear this may be because of this. Fingers crossed you apear on the list soon so we can blank it out ! 

Many Thanks Jo 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 14

Shopify has now been certified and is an active participant in Privacy Shield.
This can be verified at https://www.privacyshield.gov/list

The customer message at checkout can now be blanked out.

Regards,

Graham

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5 0 0

Evening,

As a reuslt of being listed on privacyshield.gov (https://www.privacyshield.gov/participant?id=a2zt0000000TNSNAA4) we have removed the message for customers at checkout.

Bit of a document here that essentially says what I said above but might be updated if we get additional questions about it.

Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for all the posts, really useful links and information. Glad to see it all seems to be sorted for now. Although for UK shops god only knows what happen's post BREXIT, but lets worry about that another day.

0 Likes
Explorer
265 0 21

Under Brexit all current European and EU legislation becomes UK law automatically as it's a physical impossibility to sort everything out individually in the time frame so there will be no change from now for several years as I can't see this legislation being top of the pile to change.

0 Likes