Is there a simple method to calculate sales tax from Shopify deposits?

JamiCreates
Tourist
17 0 3

I am trying to find an easy way to figure out how much sales tax is in each deposit I receive from Shopify. I would like to break it out in my accounting software to make filing my sales tax returns easier.

Is there a straightforward way to see this?

Replies 4 (4)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @JamiCreates. Great question!

The Help Doc on Tax reports goes over two types of reports that you can obtain the tax amounts paid by your customers from: Taxes finance report and Sales finance report.

The Taxes finance report is most useful when needing total tax amounts from within a certain time frame. Therefore, you can adjust the date range to include the transactions from particular payouts, and get the total amount of taxes collected for each payout.

The Sales finance report on the other hand, tends to be more beneficial for booking purposes. The taxes are broken down per transaction, so you are able to set the date range and see the taxes collected within that time frame in more detail (ie. the order number, the products purchased, the taxes collected per order etc.)

Both reports can be exported to a CSV, if you are wanting a saved or hard copy to work with. They can also be edited to add or remove columns if you find there is some additional information you’d like to include or exclude from your reports. 

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Tinker1
Visitor
2 0 1

How can I get a payout report with the fees and the taxes included, without having to get two different reports? 

Suggestion; Shopify should have the payout report with options to add columns/filters like taxes.

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @Tinker1. Thanks for your feedback, I've passed it along to our developers. Are you using Shopify Payments? Is that the payout report you are wanting fees and taxes included on? 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Tinker1
Visitor
2 0 1
Yes. We need those 3 item filters on the report.
Payout amount,
Fees
Taxes