Sample Sale Conundrum

cmercredi
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi everyone!

Here is the rub...

We're trying to host a sample sale on our site, but we don't want this collection of clothes to be sent to our fulfilment centre. We hold our sample sale collections in our office. Since these products will already be heavily discounted, we want to avoid any additional charges or fees that would come with storing them in our fulfilment centre. We also don't want people to choose a sample sale item and a non-sample sale item in the same cart as we'd have to eat the second shipping fee.

We thought about opening another Shopify store, but we'd only host this type of sale once a year, so financially, we don't see the value of doing it this way. Another only idea (and not our favourite) is to take all of our non-sample sale collections/products off sale for a short period of time and reactivate them when the sale is over, which is obviously a lot of work and something we would like to avoid.  We looked at a couple of wholesale-type apps, but they don't seem to work as we had hoped, either.

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any Shopify apps that could help us facilitate this sample sale? 

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
964 57 152

Hey, @cmercredi

Tira here from Shopify.

This is super interesting! Thanks for all of these details. It sounds like you want to host a sale event on your store for a specific time. Is that correct?

I would love to help you out with figuring out the best way to move forward with what you’re looking to do and I have a few questions before I can look into this for you:

• You mentioned wholesale apps, are you hoping to sell a specific volume of your products at a discount, and do you want to lock your sale to only certain customers? 
  • What kind of products are you selling? Knowing this will help me understand and cater to your specific products so that I can direct you to resources we have that you may find helpful for your business and idea.
  • When you mention, “sample sale” are you referring to specific samples of your products that are on sale, or did you mean something else?

I can’t wait to hear from you!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
cmercredi
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi @Tira !

Thanks for looking at this! That's correct. We are looking to host a once-a-year sale where we clear out specific products at a heavily discounted rate. Pre-covid, this would have been done in person in a pop-up shop. 

When we were first thinking of approaching a sale this way, I was hoping that we could use a discount code that would allow us to use a different Location so we could avoid using our fulfillment centre and the charges that come with that. The other option was to use a completely new Shopify store, a clone of our current store that uses a different Location but that also comes with its own additional charges I would imagine. That's why were looking at some external apps that could potentially do the job the way we need it.

The rub with all of this is that we can't have customers purchasing a sample sale item and a non-sample sale item in the same cart. We would end up with the company eating the second shipping fee if this were to happen.

My answers to your questions are below in bold:

• You mentioned wholesale apps, are you hoping to sell a specific volume of your products at a discount, and do you want to lock your sale to only certain customers? 

The company doesn't actually sell wholesale but we were looking at apps that could potentially sell our products outside out Shopify so the orders wouldn't appear to our fulfillment centre. But to answer your question, yes we are looking to sell a specific volume of products at a discount. The sale would be available to the general public rather than a small group of customers with the goal of clearing all of our remaining stock.

• What kind of products are you selling? Knowing this will help me understand and cater to your specific products so that I can direct you to resources we have that you may find helpful for your business and idea.

We are a women's clothing company, selling women's basics (tees, tank tops, sweatshirts, bottoms, etc..)

• When you mention, “sample sale” are you referring to specific samples of your products that are on sale, or did you mean something else?

That's correct. We are looking to clear out the inventory of specific products at a discounted rate. Some products may only have 1 item available and some may have up to 10.

Thanks again for taking a look at this!

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
964 57 152

Thanks for these details and your reply to my questions, @cmercredi

I did some research and here are some of my suggestions on what you can do:

Our discount codes aren’t able to pull in a specific location but you can fulfill orders at a different location for your inventory. You can change a fulfillment location for an order if it’s different than the one that is assigned. Check out our help docs with the steps to do this here: Changing fulfillment location. As a refresher, locations allow you to track your inventory and fulfill your orders from different locations. This may be tedious to work with as you may have a lot of orders come in, so I would also recommend looking into adjusting the location for each of the sample products you want to sell, that way when you fulfill them you won’t have to worry about making sure they are fulfilled at your desired location. Check out our help doc with the steps to set up multiple locations:

Enabling multiple locations
Set-up multiple locations
Assign inventory to locations

If you have multiple products that you want to get fulfilled at a different location, then I recommend adding locations in bulk using the bulk editor. Here are the steps from our help doc: Stock products at locations by using bulk actions

You could move forward with your sale without an app. If you were to do this, I recommend creating a collection of products with the sample products that you want to put on sale and then create a discount code that works with only that collection. Collections allow you to group products into a category so that it’s easier for customers to find them. You can create either an automated collection or manual collection of your products. An automated collection helps you automatically add products into a collection based on selected conditions to matching products, and a manual collection includes specific products that you choose. When you create your discount code, you can adjust the conditions of the discount to only apply to products within that specific collection, which can help you prevent your customers from adding different products from outside of your collection, which might help you with preventing your business from eating an additional shipping cost.

For apps that can help with volume discounts, here are my recommendations:

VolumeBoost - Volume Discount by HulkApps.com - This app can display bulk savings and offers percentage based volume and quantity discounts 

Volume and Discounted Pricing by Shopacado - Customize the look and feel of your custom pricing to match your product pages

Quantity Breaks & Discounts by Amai- Add discounts to specific product, collections or your whole store 

For similar apps, you can check out some from our App Store here: Volume Discount Apps

These apps are developed by third-party app developers. I suggest reaching out to the third-party app developer directly should you have any questions about the app. You can find their contact information under the “Support” section of the app’s page. 

We have a blog post on creating urgency and scarcity that I think you might find helpful for your sale: While Supplies Last: How to Use Scarcity and Urgency to Increase Sales, which covers using limited time sales and offers, limited quantities and how to use scarcity responsibly. It sounds like you might be planning a flash sale, which are sales that are great to sell a high volume of products for a short amount of time and can require some preparation for your checkouts. Take a look at our help doc that walks you through previewing your products and reviewing third-party functions: Flash sales to make sure you're set-up for success with your sale.

Since you used to do pop-up sales, I found a blog post that might be helpful for your sample sale’s marketing, you can check it out here with some other tips on pop-up sales: Pop-Up Shops 101: Everything You Need to Know to Try Temporary Retail.

I would love to know if this helps with what you are looking to do. 

0 Likes
cmercredi
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks for this @Tira !  This is very helpful for me, especially as a newbie user!

We've set up everything as you've recommended but our main concern is that it doesn't completely solve the issue of 100% preventing customers from choosing outside the discounted collection. In a perfect world, we'd love for a manual or automatic discount to link to the collection where there was no other option to click out similar to some ticketing software works.

Thanks for your help @Tira !

Many thanks!

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
964 57 152

I’m glad these tips were helpful, @cmercredi

I understand your concern and I did some research to look into something that can help. You can set-up a permalink to pre-load your cart. This will help you restrict products to only those you want the customer to checkout with, and you can add discount codes as well.

Here’s our tutorial on how you can create this: Cart - Use perma-links to pre load the cart. Please keep in mind that this is an advanced tutorial, so any questions would be outside our scope of support. You can ask in this thread for the Shopify Community members to provide insights should you need any guidance. You can also reach out to a Shopify Expert for additional help. Shopify Experts help with coding customizations to enhance your store. Check out our list of Shopify Experts.

Let me know if this helps you accomplish what you need to do.

cmercredi
Tourist
4 0 1

Thanks so much for your help, @Tira ! 

Setting-up a permalink to pre-load your cart is definitely an interesting idea which we'll keep in mind.

Thanks, again!

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
964 57 152

I'm happy to hear that this would be interesting to use, @cmercredi. Let us know what you decide to move forward with!

Cheers,

0 Likes