Scammers are charging people and using our business name on the credit card bills

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

We've been getting contacted about our name showing up on people's credit card statements after they see an ad for a toolset on Facebook (the deal is too good to be true) and they never send the item. Obviously, the chargebacks aren't impacting us since we aren't the ones that charged them, but people are thinking we are scamming them until we explain it isn't us. We've reported their site to Shopify but they seem to change their site account regularly and their Facebook ads get placed by new accounts all the time so while we report them whenever we can they seem to just pop up again immediately. 

Has anyone had this happen? Or know the best way to combat them?

Highlighted
1 0 1
Yes this is exact same thing is happening to us. We can’t get any relief from Shopify. Did you get this resolved?
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1209 61 360

Sorry to hear that - did you try contacting Facebook regarding this? They probably will have more power over blocking them from posting new ads or creating new ad accounts. 

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello, I have exactly the same problem.

Not sure what to do to fix it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Shopify support was no help. They basically didn't do anything even when I sent them a bunch of shopify urls that were running the scam. Same with facebook I report the ads and the accounts running them (I assume they aren't all using our name but they are all similar to the screenshots victims have shared with us). 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

I haven't found a way to actually email or call someone at Facebook . A few times a day I search the market place for ads like the ones victims have sent us and report the ads and the account running it. But it seems they just make a new account and run new ads and Facebook doesn't care since they make money. Some of the accounts even have reviews from over 6 months ago that complain about being scammed and the account is still running scam ads. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

I've been searching for similar ads to what one of the victims sent screenshots of and reporting them on facebook and I save the url the ad leads to so I can send them to shopify support. Hasn't helped though. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I just received three of these complaints. Customers were charged in my store name. Do we have a solution for this yet?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Unfortunately, we haven't gotten any solution or help from Shopify. I've called, emailed, used chat, I even sent a twitter dm to the founder/ceo when nothing else got their attention. I've tried every way of explaining it and I've tried to get it escalated to someone higher up and been promised someone higher up would help and nothing. I've even tried being angry so they'd take it seriously, but sadly they don't care.  We've still been getting reports of it happening, but I've been reporting the accounts that are posting the ads and also messaging them on facebook to say "I'm reporting all these ads, please stop using my companies name in your scams" with the hopes that they will get tired of me and change the name. Maybe it is working, the last few reports we've gotten were for charges made at the end of February, so that might be a good sign we might be finally getting them to stop. I would recommend asking victims for screenshots or as much info on what they ordered and find those ads by searching facebook market place for those keywords and reporting the ads, the accounts running them and leaving a review to let people know not to order from them and if their account allows it send them a message letting them know you are aware of their scam and they better stop using your business name or you'll keep reporting all their ads. It's not a great solution but unless facebook or shopify decide to make things more secure it's the best option I've found.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Do you have Stripe as a payment gateway?

i did some research on some scam/hack forums and I found that it is a very common problem on Shopify stores with Stripe.

I don't know why for sure.