Searching for faster way to add item discounts to a draft order

Yuri4
3 0 0

I'm trying to find a faster way to add item discounts when creating a draft order. The problem is if I have a large amount of line items in a manually created draft order, like 50+. When I try to apply individual discounts to each item, the page has to save + reload each time. So adding a discount to 50 items can take more than 30 extra minutes because the page automatically starts saving and reloading after your cursor leaves the discount text field. Is there a way to add a bunch of line item discounts with having to reload every time?

0 Likes
Karlie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
656 54 120

Hello, Yuri! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! What I would recommend is adding on a discount that would apply to the entire order instead of a discount for each individual item. When creating a draft order, at the bottom of the order - you'll see, "add a discount" and that's where you can add in a discount by percentage or amount to be applied to the entire order. You can check out this guide which goes into detail on how to use discounts with draft orders. 

Another option would be to give the customer a gift card code with the discount amount added. When the draft order is emailed the customer, they would have the option of adding the gift card at the checkout stage so that the amount would be taken off of the order. You can check out how you would issue an online gift card by following this guide!

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to ask and we would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Karlie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Yuri4
3 0 0

Thanks for the reply Karlie but this is for orders that are created manually for a customer by my staff so a gift card code to the customer wouldn't work. Also, we're currently using the option of applying a discount to the whole order but I would like do individual because we have some customers that getting special and different (depending on the customer) pricing for some items but not all. The other issue with applying a discount to the entire order is that my staff need to manually calculate what the discount would be if it was individual, add it up, and apply it at the end. Which is extrememly prone to errors.

Since Shopify already provides an option to apply individual discounts to line items in drafts, I wish they would just fix it so that after applying to one item you can go on to the next item without having to wait for the page to reload every time.

0 Likes
Karlie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
656 54 120

Hello again, Yuri! 

You're so welcome! The gift card option would still allow your staff members to manually create a draft order for that customer and send it off to the customer via email. The customer would then be prompted to pay for the order using your Shopify Checkout and would be able to use the gift card code from there, but fair point - I see what you mean here. 

I would be happy to pass this information along to the appropriate team here at Shopify as we are always looking for valuable feedback that can help improve the Shopify platform for our merchants.

Thank you for getting back to me! 

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Karlie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Yuri4
3 0 0

The gift card option still does not solve the problem and just adds an extra step for the customer. I want the changes done on my end before the customer sees it. Hopefully Shopify can make some kind of change in the near future.

0 Likes

Hi Yuri4,

I have made an app that allows you to apply the same discount (in terms of amount or percentage) to multiple line items at the same time in a draft order like this :

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 3.24.17 PM.png

You can select the line items you want to apply discount on (by checking the check box), then click "apply discount", this way you can apply discount to multiple items quickly.

The app name is Draft Helper (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper) , which it has a free plan where you can try it out for no cost.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Axel

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
0 Likes

https://apps.shopify.com/draft-helper (I messed up the previous link, sorry, this one should work)

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog
0 Likes