Selling Courses on Shopify

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of building an education course, and I am wondering if Shopify is the right place for me.

I have a little experience with Shopify in the past, and I know how diverse it can be. This has some obvious advantages, but it can also be difficult to figure out where/what is possible with so many options available.

I was wondering if some of you may be able to help push me in the right direction on how to build my course with Shopify.

Here is the simple layout of the site as a whole:

The site will consist of 4 areas: Blog (public), Bookstore (public), Products (public - showcases and sells the 5 levels of the training course), Affiliates (locked for affiliates)

The main push of the site will be to sell the training courses, using Affiliate Marketing as a major part of my marketing efforts (nearly 100%).

Each level of the course will provide access to several lessons within that course.

I know that there are management systems available for these online courses, which also integrate with Shopify. What I don't know, and where my main concern lies, is how well/if these systems integrate with the affiliate apps available on Shopify.

I'm also wondering if these management systems are even necessary for me. I have not yet decided exactly how much of the course will be video vs. text, exactly how it's paced, etc. I'm sure I will become more clear on this as I progress further into the actual course creation.

Mainly, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience or have witnessed others successfully host learning courses with Shopify and know the best general course of direction as far as apps used and their integration between each other.

I'm happy to expand on any points if need be.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
208 0 27

Hi, Walterf!

I’m Melissa, a Shopify Guru. It is definitely possible to sell online courses through Shopify. There are apps that also assist with just that. You can take a look at some here:

* Locksmith for the Affiliate locked pages - https://apps.shopify.com/locksmith. This will allow you to lock pages and content on your store so that only the customer/affiliate with the credentials to see that page will have access to it.

These are just a couple that will help with your online courses. Any questions about each would be best to ask the app developers of them as they would be able to assist with any in-depth questions on the functionality. They do know their apps best! Contact info can be found on each app page.

Hope this information helps! You can reach out to the Guru team   https://docs.shopify.com/support  if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Melissa | Shopify Guru

Highlighted
1 0 3

I have essentially the exact same questions, but wondering if anything has changed in the last few years isince the initial question (2017). I notice that one of the 3rd party apps link (Avizr) doesn't appear to exist any longer.

Wondering if there are any shopify accounts with similar business models, online/digital content with members/affiliate content to access. Is there a way to search these or view these businesses? 

Any tips for current apps or website themes that help make this business model work? 

thanks so much,

Jenn

Highlighted
2 0 1

I was hoping to receive some insight into how to sell courses online via my Shopify store. This is a huge barrier to entry for me in choosing the Shopify platform as the backbone of my online business. Ideally, I'd like a platform I can sell products and online classes. Can you enlighten me as to possible ways to make this possible within Shopify?

Thanks in advance for the help.

All My Best,

stephey

Highlighted

Hi @sbaker @CoachJennJoyce @walterf,

Great news: we have released Courses app – it allows you to associate products of your store with structured course pages editable from admin and open only for those who purchased a specific course. Check it out: https://apps.shopify.com/courses

Highlighted
2 0 1

Thanks for the info but when I try and install the app into my Shopify store I get an error and it's unsuccessful. 

Thanks

stephey

@ArchitechproOU wrote:

Hi @sbaker @CoachJennJoyce @walterf,

Great news: we have released Courses app – it allows you to associate products of your store with structured course pages editable from admin and open only for those who purchased a specific course. Check it out: https://apps.shopify.com/courses

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for reporting the issue! We have just sent you the email, let's communicate over email in order to resolve the problem. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

is there a way to upload videos to you app? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @dgarcial,

Thanks for the question! Our app doesn't work as a video hosting, however it supports embedding videos from various video hosting services. From our experience, Vimeo works best for most of course authors, as it allows to apply domain-level privacy for video embedding, so videos can be played only in courses pages of your store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@ArchitechproOU - Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into the Course app in the future, but my pressing need right now is to get my existing Teachable courses into my product catalog. I have upgraded Teachable and connected it to Shopify with Zapier, but can't seem to sell single courses. Please, can you help?

0 Likes