Selling Gift Cards for Greater Cash Value?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hey!

We are looking to sell gift cards for our store that serve as effectively a bulk discount.  Many physical stores do this where you buy a gift card for $75 that has a real cash value of $100. 

It is not possible with the stock shopify functionality to do this.. However we are trying to brainstorm and find a way to do this.

One potential solution is giving people who bought the gift card an exclusive discount code (we do not use or offer discounts normally).   

Our ideal solution however is being able to sell a gift card for $100 thats worth in cash value in purchasing at our store $110. 

Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
207 0 16

Hello Jeff, Brandon here from the Shopify Guru Team :)

The only way to do that would be to create a discount code specifically for the Gift Card product that reduces the price of the gift card by the amount you want to give extra to the customer. So if you want them to get $110 for $100, you make the Gift Card be $110 and then provide a $10 discount that can only be used when purchasing the gift card. You can limit the discount to only be applicable to your gift cards. You could also do it in a % amount so that multiple values of gift cards can be sold.

Hope that helps :)

You can always reach out to us on phone/email/chat as well!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We are experiencing issues with this. We are discounting gift cards with the "compare price" but the customer is receiving a gift card for how much they spend, not the entire MSRP value of the card. For example, we discounted a $500 to $350 ---> the customer received the $350 not the $500. Please let me know if there is a better solution. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi
I dont think he meant value of compare at price

I'm looking at the exact same situation right now.

What I believe is this: 

Make a gift card for $500 and keep its price at $500
Now go to "discounts" in admin and make a discount code/automatic discount where it gives 30% off
In the "applies to" funtion, choose "specific product" and select your gift card

Is this what you tried? I'd love to know if it doesn't work. Won't try it then. Let me know!

0 Likes