Selling Physical Gift Cards in the Online Store?

Ensmbl_Admin
Tourist
3 0 4

We want to sell physical gift cards through our online store. 

Shopify help pages suggest this is only available for POS, but could we do 

- mass-generate unique gift card codes (is this possible via API or another method?)

- and then get them printed on physical cards?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3779 357 741

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. Mass creating discount codes is definitely possible and not as complicated as adding an API but through an app instead. There are a couple of different apps which you could use for this and then what you do with the codes would be entirely up to you, so if you wanted them printed on physical cards, I don't see any reason why that would not be possible or not work for you so you would be good to go with that method. Let's take a look at the apps below:

In terms of setting up physical cards with the codes, you can take the following steps:

1. Create an ordinary product, available only on the online store sales channel, entitled 'Physical Gift Card' or something similar.
  2. A customer orders the 'Physical Gift Card' product.
  3. From your Admin > Products > Gift Cards click "Issue gift card" in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
  4. Replace the auto-generated code with that on the physical gift card you're going to send out to the customer. 

5. Enter their email address in the "Customer" field so they can have a digital copy too, and mail out the corresponding physical gift card. 

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about this or anything else. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Ensmbl_Admin
Tourist
3 0 4

Thank you for your prompt response, Nick.

You mention "Mass creating discount codes is definitely possible", but is this the same for Gift Card codes? Not discount but gift card codes. They are not the same thing, are they?   

Also, we don't have to be on Shopify Plus to use these apps, correct?

Thanks again!

Ece

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3779 357 741

Hi there, 

Apologies, I meant to send you Gift Card apps there not discount codes. You can create gift cards directly in the Shopify admin which you can see the guide for here. A great app for gift cards is Gift Cards, Loyalty & Rewards, the app does bulk gift card campaigns also. Last but not least, you don't need to be on Shopify Plus to use the apps. All of the apps in the Shopify app store are available to all stores no matter what plan they are on. ?

Hope that helps and apologies for the mix up again. 

All the best, Nick

Ensmbl_Admin
Tourist
3 0 4

Thank you, Nick.

1- So I could use the Gift Cards, Loyalty & Rewards app to generate unique gift card codes in bulk, get them printed on physical gift cards and sell them as products, correct?

2- I read Shopify offers physical gift cards production for Shopify POS stores. Is this not done for non-POS stores?

Thank you again!

Ece

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3779 357 741

Hello again, 

No problem at all. 

1.) Yes, you can indeed. That should be no problem at all for you once you have downloaded and installed the app. You can use the app on any plan, there is no need to be on Shopify Plus. 

2.) That is correct officially and you can see the help guide Shopify has for the POS physical gift card here. There is, however, a workaround for being able to sell physical gift cards online and then mail them out should you wish. That is the step by step process which I posted in my earlier response above. ?

Hope that helps make it all clear for you but don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions. 

All the best, Nick

James_Bostock
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello,

Forgive me I am confused.

I thought Giftcard functionality was only available to Shopify plan or higher.

How can that app give us gift cards if we are on the basic shopify plan?

Can you explain?

Thank you!

James

0 Likes
RhianNicholls
Tourist
4 0 4

Hey Nick,

the main issue with this though is that the gift card would not be linked to an order number. It would simply look like a free issue discount code which makes reconcilliation rather difficult.

Our get around initially was that the customer would order the e-gift voucher and then we would post them a gift card with the code written on it, however as we are unable to see the code we cannot do this.

I'm now in a situation where the customer has the code but I do not and therefore I cannot post them the printed gift card because I don't know what their code is?!

0 Likes
djb6301
Tourist
6 0 3

I’ actually using Rise  https://apps.shopify.com/rise-ai to create bulk gift card codes and i’m using nitecrest https://www.nitecrest.com/card-types/gift-cards/ to print them. I hope this helps :)

0 Likes

Hi @Ensmbl_Admin, I made a video tutorial for you on how to sell physical gift cards through online store. Hope this helps! https://www.askquesty.com/shopify-answers/gift-cards-shopify-tutorial

0 Likes