Selling Products in Specific Quantities

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Struggling to find an answer to this...

We are looking to sell certain items in specific quantities. For example, we sell wine glasses in cases of 24, or in increments of 3 glasses. The case quantity and increments are different for each item.

The only way we can do this is by creating a product variant for both the case and the increment. While this technically 'works' for the user placing the order, it creates multiple problems for us, as we're using the variant option to hack the quantity.

First, it's impossible to automatically track inventory using this method. If someone selects the case variant, it won't update the quantity available of the incremental variant, meaning we'd have to manually update that information each time an order is placed. This will also result in products that have sold out to still be available for sale. BIG problem.

Second, as we're trying to integrate this with our QuickBooks, where the products are setup as individual items, having these variants will make any automatic integration impossible.

I can't seem to find any plugins that will solve this problem, and I've found no information in the forums or on the web to address this issue. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Much Obliged.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4270 32 435

Using an App you can create variants that represent a case and set that variant to not use inventory management. The case is priced at whatever price is appropriate. When the order is booked, you inspect the variants purchased in the orders using an App. If the variant that was purchased represents a case, you can deduce the product it was based on, and make inventory updates. 

Lets say you have inventory of 2000 glasses at $10 each. A case contains 12, and sells for $80. When the order comes in, the App detects the case, and sees that it consists of 12 of the $10 glasses. It therefore reduces their inventory count by 12. 

There are Apps that almost make this work, but they all come with demonstrable problems. You are probably better off building this yourself to ensure it works properly for you.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Erg. Doubt I have the hardcore ruby experience to build that. I find it hard to believe that this issue hasn't been addressed before.

I was thinking about using a custom product tag to load a different quantity dropdown menu. So if I assign a product a tag of 6/24, it will load a quantity dropdown menu with the correct quantity options on the product page. I tried this conditional statement, but it doesn't seem to be working...

{% if current_tags == 6/24 %}
display the 6/24 menu
{% elsif current_tags == 3/18 %}
display the 3/18 menu
{% endif %}

What am I doing wrong here?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1235 5 87

Hi Jake,

We have an App that lets you bundle products: http://apps.shopify.com/shopify-assistant If you drop me a note (gavin @ shopifyconcierge.com) we can see if it will work for your scenario.

Re your code, try this:

{% if current_tags contains "6/24" %}

Thanks, Gavin.

www.bookthatapp.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks Gavin. Unfortunately, no luck with that code snippet. Such a simple request, but it seems I'll have to look to a different eCommerce platform to meet my client's needs. What a shame.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
115 0 3

Hi Jake,

I have a solution for you that will solve both of your problems. Email me @ mlkhui@gmail.com. We can talk about it.

Ken

Specialized in setting up/customizing Shopify, coupon/discount code management, CSS, XHTML, JavaScript, Ajax, jQuery and SEO. Contact me @ mlkhui@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I would like to set certain product to be sold in pack quantitiy only and list price per piece.  Is there a setting in products or an app to do this?

0 Likes