Setting up Shopify POS for my florist/gift store

Bronwyn
1 0 3

HI,

I am hoping I can get some guidance on setting up my florist/gift retail shop with Shopify POS.  Florist businesses require a few extra factors on a POS, to date I have not found a POS/Accounting system that can fulfill my needs.

I have listed a few points off the top of my head that I struggle with,

• The prices of the flowers we bring into stock change on a daily basis because I buy flowers on auction daily, the flowers need to be captured daily so I can track stock and margin, but the retail price doesn't change daily, only seasonally.
  • Many of my customers order a mixed flower bouquet and pay for it but leave it up to my florists to create something beautiful with their budget. I would like to invoice the customer, send the order through to my florists where they can fulfill the order using their own choice of flowers and then close the invoice. This ensures that the invoice will reflect exactly what we have used in the bouquet which helps us with stock control and the customer can see what we used if they put in a query.
  • We also create different bouquets daily to sell off the floor, these bouquets are hardly ever the same. How do I price them without invoicing them out. At present I create a quote for off the floor flower bouquets. When a customer buys a bouquet off the flower I convert the quote into a invoice, but If a customer takes more than one bouquet I cannot put the different quotes for each bouquet on one invoice.

These are a few of the daily issues....I was hoping someones has already been down the florist POS road and can guide me.

Look forward to getting advice.

Bronwyn

ImTheFlowerGuy
1 0 0

Hello,

Personally figure out what your average arrangement cost is for that particular sized arrangement and charge that for each. In my experience you don't want the customer questioning your pricing practices, especially if that specific arrangement is the same sized arrangement but different flower composition. Customers will test you and your knowledge of your flowers and pricing even if they don't know anything themselves. For in store purchases, I would have two prices per every size. (ex.) Small Flower $59.99/Small Flower Plus $69.99; One is Standard flowers and the PLUS is a different composition or a few novelty flowers in addition. That way your client or customer feels they are getting a premium option for that size. 9 times out of 10 they will upgrade to receive the PLUS! Clients want options, better yet suggestive options. Also mark the next size up close to the PLUS Size to suggest a Larger flower arrangement instead and so on. It's Irresistible if your quality and customer service is 110%. Customers like to see a stable price even though they don't realize that we have to constantly adjust cost almost everyday according to Flower purchases we have to negotiate through our vendors. Just my humble opinion. Hope this was helpful!

-ImTheFlowerGuy

0 Likes
jupissarro
Excursionist
14 0 4

Hello! 

I just came across your post, and I think the problem you're mentioning is happening in other industries as well for other Shopify merchants. 

It might be worth taking a look at this app? https://apps.shopify.com/tracker-app 

It was built for restaurants initially, but the main goal is to keep track of raw ingredient count (whether that's flour, or roses, etc.) and link a Shopify product to these raw ingredients, with insights on your costs, etc.

Let me know if it helps! In any case, there is a 28-day free trial so you can see if it's suited for you @Bronwyn  @ImTheFlowerGuy 

0 Likes
jupissarro
Excursionist
14 0 4

Hello! 

I just came across your post, and I think the problem you're mentioning is happening in other industries as well for other Shopify merchants. 

It might be worth taking a look at this app? https://apps.shopify.com/ready-pantry 

It was built for restaurants initially, but the main goal is to keep track of raw ingredient count (whether that's flour, or roses, etc.) and link a Shopify product to these raw ingredients, with insights on your costs, etc.

Let me know if it helps! In any case, there is a 28-day free trial so you can see if it's suited for you @Bronwyn  @ImTheFlowerGuy 

(sorry was the wrong link before!)

0 Likes