Setting up a US version of our current website from the UK

Highlighted
Excursionist
52 0 7

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me or provide me with some information. We currently have our Shopify store set-up and based in the UK and use .co.uk domain. We have shipping set up for worldwide and do get quite a few customers from abroad but mainly we do supply to the UK. As our American market is growing and our brand is gaining some momentum, we would like to set-up another website for the US market.

Now I am unsure what is the best way to go with this. My first idea was to set-up a second shopify store with our .com domain name and copy over our inventory, set the store up in USD and ship here from the UK.

The only other idea I have had but know very little about is weather we can use our current shopify store, point a .com domain to the store and use the customers geopraphic location to ensure they see the correct currecny, taxes and domain (ie .com and .co.uk). Also, if this second option is a possibility, can we use a different store front or homepage for the .com version? 

Is there anyone currently using either of these methods, or is someone selling to the US from the UK and has a specific store for the US? If so how are you doing it and what issues if any have you run into?

Any help is extremely apreciated.

Regards, Karl.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1241 76 273

Hey, Karl. 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

I'm going to go a bit out of order here and answer your second question first before diving into your first question so bear with me. 

While it would be possible to add your ".com" URL to your current store, this would still lead your customers to the same website. It is possible to have a currency converter, however, the checkout would still charge in your default currency as the checkout process can't switch between the two. Ultimately this route wouldn't work for what you're hoping to create.

All in all, creating a secondary account will be the best route to go to keep everything organized. To do this, you'll want to review our document here that outlines the information that can be backed up and imported into your new store. From here, you can create a new store, and start the import process. Keep in mind that if you purchased a theme from our theme store, then you will need to repurchase the theme as theme purchases only cover one store. 

Once you have the new store created, domain added, and have tested the site to ensure everything is ready, you can then look into adding an IP redirect app to both stores. What this will do is redirect your customers based on whether they are coming from a UK or USA IP so they land on the respected website. Here are a few you can consider: 

Since you're setting up a secondary account which holds the same brand name, and products and you only require this for a different currency then you may qualify for our multi-store discount. What this means is that Store A would subscribe to either our Shopify plan ($79) or our Advanced plan ($299). From there, every store after that would pay $29 while still receiving the features of the plan Store A is subscribed to. To get this setup, would require an escalation to our billing department, so if you do go this route, let us know and we'd be happy to get that looked after. 

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
52 0 7

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for the reply, extremely helpful! Really appreciate the help with this and I will definitely be going down the route of setting up a second store for the US market very shortly. 

Regards, Karl. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
145 2 9

Hi, congratulations on your market expansion to the US.

Yes, your second idea can be done. You can still use current website, but redirect visitors from the US to another url.

GeoTargetly is the services for you. It can identify your website visitors' physical locations, like country, state, city by IP using IP Geoservice technologies.

Particulatly, Its GeoRedirect tool can auto redirect visitors to location-specified webpages, for example, yourshop.co.ck/US, if your visitors are in the US. On the new page, You are free to display a new storefront, or keep consistent content with minor localised changes(like US currency, tax, etc.).

Hope it helps! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

Could you tell us if the advice above still applies? We are looking at setting up the same system for expansion into the US.

Many Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, I'm also looking at doing this for my UK site. Is there anyone out there that can set this up for me?

sales@competeforce.com

0 Likes