Setting up a label template for Stocky using Dymo 450

Mrobbins
Visitor
1 0 5

I am setting up a label template for the first time and the Stocky instructions do not match the Dymo software.  I would like to print labels directly from my Stocky purchase orders using the Shopify fields.  My Dymo software does not allow for a Reference Name section.  I've tried creating a spreadsheet and importing the fields and then the printer only prints the field names for each lable rather than populating with the corresponsding field data from the Stocky purchase orders. 

This information is out of date or incorrect. 

1. In the Dymo Label Printing software, right-click a text field and then select Properties.
  2. Select the Advanced tab.
  3. In the Reference name section, choose and enter a name from the approved list of text field names.
  4. Click OK to save the information.
  5. Save the label to your computer.
  6. Upload the label to Stocky by clicking Preferences, and then Dymo.
Replies 14 (14)

Inkwell
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Mrobbins - The trick is you need to adjust the properties for each text or barcode field that you create in the DYMO software. If you want Price, Title and Barcode on the label, you have to have two text boxes and barcode box added to the template you are making. Then adjust the advanced properties of each to the Stocky specs. ("price" "product_title" "barcode" in my example). Save the template, and upload to Stocky.  See how the label I built in DYMO looks in the image below. Hope that helps! 

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 3.26.48 PM.png

jeantherapy
Visitor
1 0 1

When I type "barcode" in advanced settings, the only thing that prints is the barcode number, not the barcode itself. What am I missing here?

Inkwell
Tourist
3 0 1

I am not sure, but I do know that the barcode will not print if your label is too small. I tried to put too much information on my label and the barcode printed blank.

I also generate the barcodes in the Shopify barcode app Retail Barcode Labels. 

Hope that helps!

BethB
Tourist
7 0 2

to insert a barcode, click to insert on the left and drag a barcode over to the label

Edit the settings by double clicking on the barcode

Barcode Type: code 39 (code 3 of 9)
Barcode date: barcode

check the box that says "Function as variable object"

on advanced settings under reference name type "barcode" then save

I had to really mess around with the sizes because most of hte type it would print and say "Barcode doesn't fit"

to print on a 2-1/2" x 1" label i had to make the label size smaller - 2-1/2" x 3/4"

for some reason that size actually worked and let me print from stocky

good luck!

BarryVG
Tourist
8 0 5
Hi Beth…
Are you saying you are having to create drag a barcode over to a label for EACH SKU/Size, etc. Or are you saying you can run a batch order that you are needing to receive & put out in a store???
NolaCat
Tourist
3 0 5

I think some of the disconnect here is that screenshot is not at all the software that comes with the Dymo printers now.  The current software doesn't seem to have the "advanced properties" that the instructions talk about.

tifflee17
Visitor
1 0 1

The answer to the question, which doesn't seem to be answered here or known by tech support as of this date, is that the Shopify documentation is out of date and the new Dymo software does not allow this feature.  For anyone who has found their way to this thread, please do not download the newest Dymo Label Connect Software, instead download the older software,  Dymo Labelwriter (for a mac 8.7.4). I am only working on a mac and I do not know if this applies to Windows.

theplumberswife
Visitor
2 0 1

Were you successful in getting your labels to print?  I'm struggling with the exact same issue.  Trying to decide whether to stop using  stocky app because of it. I would love to know if you were successful.  

BarryVG
Tourist
8 0 5

Also ... my wife has been on with support & they can't figure out how to get smaller label templates to carry the necessary barcode & script info, when you're looking to do what NORMAL brick & mortar store do, and print on crazy label that are like 1"x1", or like a jewelry "butterfly" label. Easier to pawn it off on 3rd party apps to make $$$ vs. working as a normal POS software. Pretty sketchy, at best. I even see the 3rd party apps trolling many "community" questions to offer help, and many don't have the depth to offer full solutions. Truly frustrating after spending $thousand in pro costs to migrate product to the Shopify & Shopify POS platform.

lucas05021
Excursionist
125 0 5

I also want to know how to solve this problem?

NolaCat
Tourist
3 0 5

I found an old version of the Dymo label software and was able to get label printing working within Stocky.  So much easier to print from a received PO.

All the instructions make much more sense. 

Dymo Label V.8 

jmcnaughton
Tourist
5 0 18

After pulling my hair out for hours to trying to figure this out, I figured it out... WHY has Shopify not fixed this already?! You need to download and use Dymo Label Software 8.5.4. (NOT Dymo Connect.) You can find it here, just ctrl+F Dymo Label Software 8.5.4: https://www.dymo.com/compatibility-chart.html

I just switched from Square and I'm so disappointed that Shopify really doesn't seem to give a sh*t about their brick & mortar/POS functionality & experience... This seems like such a basic feature that turned out to be a huge pain in the ass.

Now to figure out how to make the font size not enormous...

BarryVG
Tourist
8 0 5

That's one of the Barcode issues, because we have "jewelry" with far smaller tags, as you can't have a 2.5 X 0.75"-inch label ON jewelry or a larger tags. It's moronic as a POS glitch, or inability for Shopify to have "labeling" software that understand what a "brick & mortar" store needs. Instead we print the above label for the brand/price of jewelry we carry & keep it at the register to scan, which is very difficult to deal with inventory, as you have to either know what's selling between 3 ladies working there, including my wife, and KNOW what's selling & needs replacing/re-order. I know for sure their theory is "Why improve our POS system for shops, if we can make commissions off 3rd Party "APPS" that still don't resolve the issue completely. Let me know if you're able to reduce the font enough to fit on a "Butterfly" jewelry label, which is probably like 0.5" x 0.75" inches at EACH end. I see one sticker that has the barcode on ONE side, the info on the other...

NolaCat
Tourist
3 0 5
I've had success with the butterfly labels just using the Shopify Retail Barcodes app. You can only fit the price and barcode because of the label size but that's all you really need. I used the dymo 30299 price tag. The retail barcode app works great in creating barcodes and label templates. Its making templates for Stocky that was the big issue for me. Because in Stocky you can just print from the received purchase order.

But, printing labels from the barcodes app is super easy. Are y'all using this app too? https://apps.shopify.com/retail-barcode-labels?st_source=autocomplete